Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"die"-rection or "dee"-rection? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimandja

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
US
This is perplexing. I have heard the word direction pronounced both ways. Which is it? I prefer the latinized "dee"-rection.

I'm from 'murica, dangit, and we say "period." None of this wussy "Full Stop" nonsense.[wink]

I didn't mean to cause such a commotion.

I say it about halfway between duh- rection and dih- rection, leaning toward duh-. I might occasionally say die- but it would be mostly when I am using some sort of unusual emphasis as in sarcasm or hyperbole.

Do you say direct the same as direction? How about indirect?

-------------------------------------
A sacrifice is harder when no one knows you've made it.

Yeah, how 'bout that... Would you actually say "a movie die-rector"?

Die, rector, DIE!!!!

<Sounds heard during the murder of a priest>

I'm more of a Da- Rection type of guy

Casper

There is room for all of gods creatures, "Right Beside the Mashed Potatoes".

We're probably all talking about the schwa

D& rection

My point with the 'You say tomato - I say tomato' quote is that I feel that there shouldn't be a 'correct' pronunciation. During the last century there was a strong drive in the UK to eliminate regional variations in pronunciation which fortunately failed. The UK would have been a poorer place had it succeeded.
I was born in the south east and have a Thames valley accent, my wife is a northern lass from Yorkshire. We pronounce many common words differently (I use the long a, my wife a short one, I call certain water fowl dux, my wife doox,) Fifty years ago my accent was 'correct', I defy anyone to say that now. As in all things 'Vive la difference!'
The only criteria that is important is that we should be understood.

This is a bit like saying Herb or Erb....
or renaissance and stressing the different syallables, depends on where you are... Linguists suggest today theres really no right or wrong in these situations....they say that in some instances, like renaissance for example in the US, the more accepted way of saying it which differs from the way most english spekaing countrys (countrys of predominate continuing english influence)say was purely a way to remove alittle bit more of that english influence in the US.. This happened a lot of years ago and took a long time...

"Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back