Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Die, Dies, Dice 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stackdump

Technical User
Sep 21, 2004
GB

If you have a die (a casting for example), does it have a plural? So would I have two die?, or two dies? My guess would be two die in the sense that 'die' is singular or plural, so it is like the word baggage.

But... I've also heard people call two die, dice. Which is probably a mishearing of dies.

In terms of a dice (the the square gaming thing you roll), the plural is die. But this is often confused since I hear people say roll the dice when they have two in their hand. I guess the 'ice' part of dice sounds like an 's' which makes it sound like its plural.

I've always suspected that the confusion between dice/die (the gaming thing) and multiple die (a casting or similar) is why some people call multiple castings dice?

IMHO.....

If you have a casting, that is a die. If you have two of them, that would be dies.

I can roll a single die, or roll multiple dice.

I can dice up a chicken, but only after it dies. <lol>

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

===&gt; If you have a die (a casting for example), does it have a plural?
Yes.
==&gt; So would I have two die?, or two dies?
Two dies.

Die is also the plural of dice.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I can roll a single die, or roll multiple dice.

Shouldn't that be;
I can roll the dice (one), or I can roll the die (several)?

A single die would be a dice, multiple dice would be die.

==> I always thought that Die is singular, and Dice is plural.
I think it's the other way around when referring to gaming devices. One dice, two die.

When referring to casting moulds, it's one die and two dies.

--------------
Good Luck
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

So "dies" is the plural of "die",
and "die" is the plural of "dice"?

That IS confusing!

Doesn't the Wikipedia article being with:
Wikipedia said:
Dice (the plural of die, ...
I read that as 'die' is singular and 'dice' is plural.

--------------
Good Luck
FAQ181-2886

and me

"If it could have gone wrong earlier and it didn't, it ultimately would have been beneficial for it to have." : Murphy's Ultimate Corollary

You guys are exactly right. Where's my coffee?

--------------
Good Luck
FAQ181-2886

Thank goodness...I thought something was wrong with my reading comprehension. I was about to go back for a 3rd cup of coffee.

Sorry.

--------------
Good Luck
FAQ181-2886

This deserved an expert consultation.... I called my father, who spent 38+ years in sheet metal manufacturing.

He was happy to confirm that one is a die, and the plural is dies.

Except when creating threads
then its one die nut, two die nuts

"If it could have gone wrong earlier and it didn't, it ultimately would have been beneficial for it to have." : Murphy's Ultimate Corollary

Except when creating threads
then its one die nut, two die nuts

In this case, "die" seem to become an adjective, and the plural form applies to the noun part only - which is now "nut", not "die". So no real exceptions here.

I play a game that uses six-sided dice, and some of the players have dice that have the actual numbers on the faces instead of pips (dots). Well, on these dice the six has either a line under it ( 6 ) or a dot ( 6. ), to indicate the bottom of the number. I've always wondered why this is done. Are there actually people out there who might think they just rolled a nine on a six-sided die?

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back