Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial Up Modem Enabled At Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtJarrow

Programmer
Apr 12, 2002
US
I have a Gateway EG500, all standard components except the modem, which is a Sterling Communications 56K/V.90 modem. I replaced the modem because I thought the old one was bad.

The problem:
The modem is enabled at startup....in other words, if the computer is one and someone is logged in, the phone line is is use, even if you have not ever used the modem to access the internet. Anyone trying to call me gets the annoying modem signal.

I have checked the Startup folder, the registry Run, RunOnce, etc for anything set to run at startup. There is nothing in these locations. I have also checked all the programs that might use the modem and nothing. It seems to be for all users...

I am at a loss.....Any help is greatly appreciated. The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources. - Albert Einstein [spin]

Robert L. Johnson III, A+, Network+, MCP
Access Developer/Programmer
robert.l.johnson.iii@citigroup.com

Open your Internet Explorer, choose the menu Tools,internet options, and then select tap connections at top, in the middle of the dialog, check on the radio button which is "never dial a connection". Maybe then everything is all right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back