Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dial-up connection active at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacool

ISP
Jun 26, 2003
US
suddenly, in the last 2 days, whenever i start up my dial up connection automatically attempts to log on. what is going on and how do i fix it?

Hello. I am thinking that the reason that you are getting this to happen is becuase in your dialup properties you
have selected "AUTOMATICALLY DIAL IF A NETWORK CONNECTION IS NOT PRESENT" If this is checked this will automatically dial if there is no present connection active.

Try this and see if this will help you

Jon Daddysman
jdaddysman@peoplepc.com

Dear cacool,
Jon Daddysman is correct but there is something else that has been happening to me which seems to be causing the same symptoms as you described:

I have had 3 versions of ZoneAlarm on my computer one after the other, when I was on the 2nd one, and until I upgraded to the latest version a few days ago, the dialup window would come up at startup.
I am very careful and I never tick the box that says "Connect Automatically" and I can then just click CANCEL.
Since I upgraded to the latest (Free) version I have not had any problems and the symptoms that you describe have disappeared.
It may be the same for you or not.
It is quite likely that Jon has already solved it with his answer but just in case I
thought I would chip in with my ha'pennysworth...

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Any new softwares? My guess is one of them is trying to update in the background (like Norton Antivirus)? If so, look in the properties of the program for automatic update features, and disable them if you don't want this to happen. Also, install Spybot and run a Spyware scan, some spyware might be trying to talk on the web...

Matt J.

thanks to daddysman, james33 and mattjurado. spybot did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back