Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Determine how long a process or application runs at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregFiore

Programmer
Nov 7, 2005
US
I am looking for a program that will log the execution time for each process and application during startup. The most important thing about startup processes (In my way of thinking) are:
1. What is the process name and what executed it.
2. Is this process or application harmful or even needed.
3. How long does this process or application run.

I have used msconfig, turned on boot logging and watched
to see if something took longer to execute. I have used HighJack this, and recently aswrite.exe. I have started the computer in Safe Mode, and in msconfig Diagnostic mode. These techniques require a slow process of elimination to find the culprit. The real issue is execution time. If it is small and the process is not bad, then those process can stay. It's the ones that take too much time that need to be investigated. I realize that there is overhead associated with logging and time measurement, however it is relative and each process would pay the same penalty.
Greg Fiore

Thanks Linney,
I am in the process of downloading the Microsoft
program and will give it a try. I will let you know
how it works...Thanks again,
Greg Fiore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back