Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

delete entries in msconfig startup tab 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

squash

MIS
May 21, 2001
US
sometimes I have duplicate entries in the startup tab of msconfig. I have read MS tech bulletin about reinstall. But how do I get rid of thesse duplicates.

Also from time to time I make changes to the system. Such as uninstall Zone-alarm. Yet the entry for ZA is still in the msconfig startup tab.

Is there any way to manually edit what is on this page.

Thankx Again for any input.

A lot of what you see on this startup tab is under Start->Programs->Startup, or in the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

It's also not a bad idea to scan your entire registry for any reminants of apps you've uninstalled in the past. For instance, I would scan for ZA and Zonealarm throughout the entire registry and delete any results. Here's a good command to backup your registry that you can run from your Run box (of course, you fill in today's date):

regedit /e C:\Regbackup_today's date.reg

Note: If anything goes wrong, locate this file under the root of C: and simply double-click it. This can be accomplished in Safe Mode as well.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Open MSCONFIG
In the startup tab, you can see the apps you disabled.
Behind each app is the location, be ir a registry key or a pathname.
For the registry entries, open Regedit
Goto:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Remove what you don't want there.

For the folders, goto the indicated path and remove it there, usually Common Startup or startup The solution is out there. [morning]

If you delete from the registry, as set out above, you will only see the entry once. For example if you have ZA twice in your startup list, one checked the other not, by removing from the registry you won't get any, and if you still have ZA on your system, you'll have a registry error.

Thre is a programme that lets you get rid of one of the boxes rather than both. It is a huge TWEAK application, which I think to be totally over the top, however, it does that operation very well.

Press any key to continue or any other key to quit...
Phil
Please tell me if the answer I gave was helpful or a bus ride out. Without your feedback I won't know.

There's a whippy little tool for doing this stuff, doesn't install, will run from a floppy. And best of all, the price is right!` Here's one for the toolbox:

(you'll want the stand alone .exe.)

Enjoy!

-Bruce

The enteries which are already deleted/disabled from msconfig and still show under Start Up tab are located
as follows:
1) Open Regedit
2) For Common Startup disabled enteries which are normally under Start --> programs --> Startup folder
HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Shared Tools/MS Config/Startupfolder
3) For HKLM/.../run the disabled enteries are in
HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Shared Tools/MS Config/Startupreg

You may delete the individual keys in the above folders if not required to be shown under msconfig
Ash

I use REGCLEANER (freeware):

One of the tabs is 'Startup List'. You can check items to be removed and then 'Remove Selected'.

There is a 'Backup' tab where all removed items initially go (similar operation to the recylce bin). Thus you can undo any removal that you might require back.

The author also has released freeware 'JV16 PowerTools', a registry and system tweaking tool with similar capabilities as above plus more (works in XP as well):

Thankx
That is exactly what I need,
Simple and effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back