Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Defragment won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubruoy

Technical User
Aug 6, 2002
US
I have a win 2k pro machine on which defrag won't start. This is not the problem where it starts and keeps stopping, it won't start at all. The machine has a zip drive and if I highlight that and click analyze or start, defrag will respond and analyze or start to defrag. If I highlight the c: drive and click analyze or start, it does nothing. I haven't had this problem before. I did get a low virtual memory error on this computer this morning and adjusted the vm but it makes no diff. This computer has 256 mb ram, service pack 4, pentium 4 1600, 40gb hd.

I have run ctl-alt-del and stopped processes, no help. Safe mode, no help. Was sure to be in admin account during all attempts.

Any ideas? I have searched the forums for this problem but the closest I can come is when defrag keeps starting over.

Thanks xwb but it doesn't restart, it doesn't even run. I know defrag works because I can highlight the zip drive and it will start. If I highlight c: then it won't respond. It won't analyze and it won't start to defrag. It won't do anything.

Not sure about this one but I think the standard MS defrag relies on at least 15% of unused disk space.

When you say it doesn't even start, how long have you waited? If the disk is very badly fragmented, it could take a long while both to start and to run. If you are not an administrator, you can't kick off defrag on the main drive: only on removable drives.

xwb, I have waited about 3 hours and it will not start. All attempts while in administrator account. 67% free space on hd. This is really strange as I know defrag works because it will start on the zip drive but does nothing at all on c:.

Problem solved!

Thanks for the help, I got it figured out.

Do you know what the fix was? I find it very annoying when I have a problem and do a search and find a thread with my problem only to get to the end and find "it's fixed thanks. I think it will help reduce multiple posts of same problems and help people who do search befor posting.

What I did to fix the problem is that I downloaded a third party defrag utility that had a trial period. I used this to defrag the disc, uninstalled it and now windows defrag works. Sorry for not posting the solution. The only person who posted a response was xwb and (s)he didn't seem to understand it so I thought nobody was interested. Sometimes I get hung on a problem with a solution that is so apparent that nobody addresses it and I thought this must be one of those.

Thank you for the reply.
I have an XP laptop that will not defrag and could not get it to start just like you. I do not use it much (just for astrophotography and did not want to spend money on a third party software so I have given up on the defrag. I put alot of images on it and also delete alot of images so I am sure it is in need of defragmenting. I will try what you did and see what happens.
Again Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back