Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Couldn't start the Dispatch Table ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghnat

MIS
Apr 8, 2003
CA
Recently I have been getting an error message box popping up while navigating in Windows Explorer.

"Couldn't start the Dispatch Table"

I'm just moving from one directory to another and no file actions are being performed. Have looked far and wide on the internet and am unable to isolate the error.

Currently it's just an annoyance of having to close the message box all of the time!

Any ideas?

GH

I think in this context the error is from a C programming statement. Dispatch table is a C switch statement, although the interrupt vector table in ROM is certainly an example of a dispatch table.

You might look in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, Application for the program causing the error.

I have checked both the System and Application Logs after the message box pops up on my screen (while in Explorer) and nothing gets appended to either of the logs.

I have all of the latest W2K updates but still am getting the error while navigating in Explorer.

????

GH

I would run an online virus scan, as the behavior is not a normal one.

Select two from smah's FAQ, I like Trend Micro and Panda: faq760-3862

You might use a utility to examine all of the startup or auto running applications on your system to see if you can identify a rogue application. You can borrow msconfig.exe from an XP machine, or use one of these freeware tools:

I ran the Symantec on-line scan and everything came up clean.

Note - I have had Symantec Corporate Edition 8.0 running on this machine for over 8 months now with no problems.

Also compared my auto running application on the Task Manager to another workstation in the office and everything seems to be in sync. I will try some of the Startup Applications from your suggested link and see if I can pinpoint the problem.

Thank you ... you have been most helpful

GH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back