Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Correct use of apostrophes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ESquared
Nah... I say we keep going until CajunCenturion makes us stop.

stella740pl:
To the best of my knowledge, Greek has never used X (chi) to represent "ks". This site says it's always been used as a k-like sound.

It may be that the Russians are disambiguating the sound that "x" represents in words like xorosho.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

sleipnir214,

First, I am not sure that the Greek word for "dry" used "X" (chi) for first letter.

Second, if it's not "KS", it sure doesn't sound "Z", as you pronounce it in English, any way. Probably, in Russian it was pronounced the way Latin/English "X" is pronounced in the middle/end of the word - the way the second "X" sound in "xerox".

And third, Russian word for xerocopy has neither Latin "X" nor Cyrillic letter "X", it has two letters, corresponding to "KS", not "Z" or "CH". It's just that I cannot really reproduce Russian or Greek letters here.

You can do greek with TGML

[α][β][γ][δ][ε][ζ][η][θ][ι][κ][λ][μ][ν][ξ][ο][π][ρ][σ][τ][υ][φ][χ][ψ][ω]

And you can paste in unicode just fine to get Cyrillic:

??????????????????????????????????????????????

-------------------------------------
A sacrifice is harder when no one knows you've made it.

ESquared,

[far off topic]
Your Cyrillic appears as a long row of question marks, no matter what encoding I use. And I cannot post letter by letter in any language, I need to work and to take care of my family once in a while, too.
[/far off topic]

Interesting, I see what you mean. In preview mode they looked okay.

-------------------------------------
A sacrifice is harder when no one knows you've made it.

Another brand name that is often mis-used in the UK is "Tannoy", although probably not half as often as Hoover is.

I read somewhere that "Escalator" used to be a brand name, too, but maybe they forgot to trademark it?

I think anyone who has ever watched Alan Partridge will know the Tannoy skit ;o)

Dan

sleipnir214 said:
Nah... I say we keep going until CajunCenturion makes us stop.

Now is probably a good time.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back