Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Correct use of apostrophes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clear copy? According to all references I could find, "cc" stands for "Carbon Copy":

Carbon Copy - Used when you want to send a copy of an email message to someone other than the main person you are writing to. Usually used for business purposes

I'd agree with Grenage on it being carbon copy.
Although thinking about it copy would be correct, I think I will go with cc'd in this case as knowing the people involved if I use copy there will be unnecessary printed e-mails flying in all directions!

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

My understanding, before e-mail, was that cc was clear copy and bc was blind copy. I have to confess I can't lay my hands on a reference right at this minute [smile]

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

If that is the case it'd be quite interesting. I wonder if there are any other instances where an initialisation/abbreviation has stayed the same while the meaning has changed.

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

Tony,

My understanding is that carbon copy is a pre-e-mail expression transferred into e-mail term. It is that copy that was made with carbon paper when all the writing was done manually or with a typewriter, and then the copies were send out in separate envelopes to all interested parties. What would clear copy mean, anyway?
As for the reference, here it is:

Stella

Emails to be CCed to John Smith.
Forward the emails to John Smith.
John Smith to receive carbon copies of emails.
Copy John Smith on emails.
Carbon copy John Smith on emails.
CC John Smith on emails.

No problem exists here!

As for clear copy, what about BCC? Blind clear copy? :)

On a Carbon Copy the carbon paper covered the whole of the bottom (copy) sheet. For a Blind Carbon Copy the carbon was moved down so that the other recipients names were not reproduced.

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Just thought I'd add to the weight of opinion concerning cc standing for Carbon Copy, as it certainly did in my neck of the wood in the yeard before email appeared...

Yup
I've alway read it as carbon copy (but then I still have to use real carbon paper for certain forms!!!).

Rosie
"Never express yourself more clearly than you think" (Niels Bohr)

This might be off the subject, but I was in a hospital last year and saw one room that had the title on the door as Xeroxing. Now that is band name recognition, what machines did they have inside that room now? Maybe Minolta's? Should they change the name of the room?

Minolting lacks a little of... je ne sais quoi.

The name Xerox evoques the act of "duplicating" so well that the sound of it and the look of it (duplicated X's) conveys the meaning well.

The same can be said of going "google, google" through the trash that litters the Web, and coming up with meaningful data.

Other names that came close to acquiring the cachet enjoyed by the two above include Kodak. Can you hear the shutter closing? Nike: must be a sneaker.

Dimandja

Who said it had to be -ing? How about Minoltize? Canonize? Oh wait... that one's taken already :)

Companies can lose trademarks on names if they are not careful to police widespread use of them in situations like this.

When the generic meaning strongly surpasses the company name, and the capital letter on the front becomes lower case, it can signal the end of the brand name.

-------------------------------------
A sacrifice is harder when no one knows you've made it.

Xerox took its name from the pre-existing noun xerography [from the Greek xeros "dry" plus graph "picture".]

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Sorry. The Greek graphos doesn't mean "picture". The word means something closer to "writing".

TANSTAAFL!!

Xerox has come to be a word in English through sheer market strength of the company bearing its name. Even though the company doesn't dominate the copier business anymore, I think the word will remain for a while. Other words that come from brand names:
[ul][li]Magic Marker - This company actually went out of business several years ago, but I still use the word to describe permanent markers such a Sharpie (The heir apparent that might misplace the 'word' Magic Marker)[/li]
[li]Palm - As in Palm Pilot. People often refer to PDAs in general as 'Palm's[/li]
[li]Q-Tip - Perhaps the best example - in the US, anyway.[/li]
[li]Hoover - Especially used in the UK (from my admittedly limited American knowledge)[/li][/ul]
I don't think Kodak has ever quite achieved the same status. I wouldn't us Kodak as a verb, but I have heard others do it.

I think this could be a lengthy thread unto itself.

John

For me, the ultimate trademarked word to become a common noun is "Aspirin".

The Bayer corporation coined and trademarked Aspirin in 1899 as the name for its acetylsalicylic acid product.

Bayer had the trademark for the word taken from it at the end of World War I. Another company, Sterling, Inc., bought the trademark from the U.S. government in 1918. By that time, many manufacturers were flooding the market, and the U.S. Federal courts ruled in 1921 that the word was a generic mark and thus unprotected. Aspirin is still a trademark in many countries, though.

TANSTAAFL!!

I never knew about the history of "Aspirin." Thanks, sleipnir214. I think that beats Q-tip!

anotherhiggins
Yes, hoover is used as a synonym of vacuum in UK as in "to hoover the floor", probably using a Dyson!

Similarly, biro.

Rosie
"Never express yourself more clearly than you think" (Niels Bohr)

I have a few examples of trademarks becoming common nouns in my native Russian. A commonly used name for all markers and felt-tip pens now is flomaster. And all disposable diapers are called pampers, where pampers is singular form, even though there is a native word for diapers - meaning more and more often only cloth diapers now.

And common name for any instant camera is Polaroid - I don't think it is still the only one?

And, of course, aspirin and xerox. An absolutely official word now for a photocopy is xerocopy (pronounced more like kserocopia - I believe it to be closer to the original greek word)

Stella

this conversation should really be in a new thread... [sad]

-------------------------------------
A sacrifice is harder when no one knows you've made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back