Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting 2 IP500's via T1 Crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnutter1

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2009
US
Can someone point me in the right direction.

A client has 2 IP500 PBX's both with T1's for outbound dialing. I want to create a PRI between the two for inter-PBX calling with 4-digit dial. It shows there are 3 PRI ports available but I cannot find where to actually add the PRI config in the manager interface.

Your title says connect via T1 crossover, in your post you say you want to do it with a PRI. Which is it?

If the two IPO's are on the same network, you can just network them together via SCN.

bdelmar: If you connect two IPOs directly together into PRI ports then you must use a t-1 crossover cable. If he does not have vcm cards then he would not be able to SCN. He has not said if both IP500s have vcm cards.

mcnutter: You should probably call your BP to sort it out for you. There are quite a few varibles here. What experience do you have managing IPO?

I know you can do a cross over cable, but he also says in his post he wants to do a PRI between them.

Ohh sorry for not posting more details, this is the first time I have ever worked on an Avaya system. The systems do not have VCM modules nor do we have a advanced networking license. I'm sorry if my terminology is off but basically all I need to do is link the two systems together and enable 4-digit dial and transfers. I assumed using a T1 Crossover cable. I am totally up for any other ideas, just as long as they utilize my existing equipment. Also both of these systems have the professional upgrade.

CarGoSki: What is a BP? I am a network and systems guy. I just inherited the management of these systems for one of my clients.

You CAN provision and get a working PRI between two IPO. Just be sure to make one CO and one CPE.

Thanks for the confirmation, what is holding me up is where to configure the PRI. When I go into the system manager I see the 4 ports but when I goto New-> All i get is options like IP Line, DECT Line, SES line.

I dont see an option to configure a new PRI.

It is done automatcly when there is a PRI card in the system

RTFM.gif

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

I think his issue is he doesn't know where to go exactly in manager...

You may also need to adjust the view of manager. The default view is kind of weak. Enable the Group and error panes under view.

Log into the Manager application with full admin privledges. If you are using the default login of Administrator you most likly have those privledges.

Pull a configuration file.

once you a pull a configuration on the right side of the application you should see a 'configuration tree' The second item on the config tree is 'Line' single click it. should populate the group pane and main pane with line details.

This is where you will most likly get crossed up and if you are not good with T1 configuration you can do some damage here with clocking and things like that. It's really not teribly dificult but if you haven't done it before you may have an issue. Make sure you keep a clean backup config to revert if you tank it.

In any case the group pane will show all of the Lines both Analog and Digital. Select the PRI that You want to configure and have at it!

Good luck!

-J

When I get to that tree I have the following on screen

Line 1 (which is a PRI bound to port 9)

Line 9 (PRI Port)

Line 10 ()

Line 11 ()

Line 12 ()

When I click on either 10 throught 12 the pane on the right gives me 2 tabs at the top but in either tab there arent any options to create or configure a PRI

This is where I am getting held up. Line 1 is the only PRI listed and its the trunk to the Telco.

This is where I am stuck. can someone shine some light on my issue? I have the 2 PBX's connected via t1 Crossover on port 10 on both. I dont get link light either.

Go to "control unit" and tell us what you see there

RTFM.gif

Under Control Unit i have:

1 IP 500
2 DIGSTA8/PRIS U
3 DIGSTA8
4 DIGSTA8
5 PHONE2

PRI S U means PRI single universal

You only have one PRI card
And if that one is in use by the telco then ou have a problem

RTFM.gif

As tlpeter saidyou have a problem, you will need to purchase another PRI card for each system. Go to the VCM card and set up SCN. It is a much better option.
Mike

Ok,

How can I go about linking these systems? can I do an analog trunk?

What I dont understand is there are 4 PORTS here but only one is useable?

No because you do not have them

You have 24 DS ports and 2 analog phone ports and that is it

You are not able to connect two systems right now

You need a VCM card but your slots are full

You have a problem, your only solution is antther PRI card
If you do not dial a lot between those systems then the basic cards (with 8 channels) are good enough

RTFM.gif

tlpeter:

Thanks for the help, i really appreciate it. I wouldnt even need as many as 8 channels, at most 4. So what do I need to buy, another one of these combo cards?

Can I do an IP trunk without the VCM?

Can you show the "control unit" of that other system too ?

For iptrunks (H.323 or SIP) you need a VCM card in both systems and you need a license on both systems for enabling the networking between those sites

The PRI card comes with 8 channels by default and can be 30 channels max

You need a PRI in both systems

RTFM.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back