Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGTM85

Instructor
Jun 5, 2003
US
I have a Dell computer and every time I turn on the button of the computer it goes into standby mode... is it a software or hardware problem? If it's related to windows XP, how to I fix it?

Bit more info please. Does machine actually boot and load XP - then go into standby mode? (ie, what exactly happens).

And when did this start - had you made any hardware/software changes, had major crash, virus etc)?

When I turn on the machine it doesn't even load XP, the monitor doesn't even go active. Basically it turns on then goes into standby mode in 2-3 seconds. I'm not sure what changes have been made to the software because it's not my computer... and no hardware change. Is it perhaps the settings in BIOS?

the default settings for the power button is often StandBy Mode. Have you changed that? Have you tried to pull the power cord in the back and reconnect it?

Where do i Find the default setting for standby Mode... cuz someone ust have changed it. I have tried pulling the power cord and reconnecting it.

open the pc remove the battery from the mainboard (it looks like a large watch battery) leave it for five to ten mins then put it back and start, all the settings will return to normal if it has been changed by someone

but you will have to reset the time and date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back