Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cleaning up unchecked startup items 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcw1

Programmer
Jan 12, 2002
CA
Hello, can someone tell me where to find the folder that holds the items in startup when you type msconfig in run. I'd like to clean out all the unchecked items, I know i've seen this folder before but can't find it again. Thanx.

Glenn

You can do it with reg cleaner. Download it from here:

But, a lot of programs just write it back in there the next time you open the program. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

gcw1

Open HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-

and delete any entries that you wish to remove.Do the same for

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
smitee

Thank you, thats what I was looking for.

Glenn

Thats funny deke40, I used that exact page to find out what somethings were before i unchecked them...

Glenn

One more:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices-

reghakr

I did this but there are still 2 things in my MSCONFIG that weren't removed in the registry. Adobe Gamma Loader and Epson Status Monitor 3.

How do I get rid of those 2 things?

Thanks "Nothing is impossible!"

Look in the Start>Programs>Startup folder.

Or go to Start>Run, and type notepad c:\windows\system.ini and look under the Load= or Run= lines.

reghakr

No go,

The only thing in my start-up folder is resource meter and the system.ini file doesn't even have a run= or load= value.

Any more suggestions? "Nothing is impossible!"

Are you tryn to get rid of the programs, or just them starting up.

Just trying to clear them from the MSCONFIG start-up window.
They are not checked as neccessary start-up applications, so I want to get them out the window, because I will never have them on at start-up

No problem, at least I got rid of all the other stuff.
Thanks, "Nothing is impossible!"

I know some programs will re-appear in the start-up when you use them again, for instance MSN. I had a bunch of programs still in there that I'm not using anymore and those are gone now. Thanx

Glenn

spyderix,

If they appear in the msconfig window, these are the ONLY places they will reside:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices-

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back