Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Christmas startup- AFTER CHRISTMAS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsTFB

MIS
Oct 3, 2000
US
Help!! During Christmas I downloaded some Grinch backgrounds, sounds, etc and now I can't find where to get rid of them at.

I know it is a goofy question, but when I reboot, the GRINCH stares at me for at least a minute. I can't remember where my Windows settings are.

Can anyone help me???

OUTGRINCHED!!
MrsTFB in Tennessee!

If the Grinch is looking at you while Windows is booting and before the desktop, then the start-up splash screen has been changed. I think it is named "logo.sys".

If the Grinch "theme" cannot be removed from the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel...shame on the developer...you should be able to change the theme or settings by either right clicking on the desktop and going to properties to change the background and screen saver...or go to control panel display applet to change them.
Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

I had something like that happened, when I could not remove a program from control panel, I had to go to start/search/find file or folder, highlight all the folders the came up under the name, and delete it this way.
There is programs out there now, that has the red cirlce w/ line.

have the same problem and that was after i used uninstall. thanks doug, i shall try to remove what is left from system logo.
yes, shame on the developer, after installation, this grinch program basically made all of the other screens unavailable. i had a heck of a time just trying to get the others back.
part of this program is in the "Plus" part of the wallpaper and screen savers. i had to reinstall another "Plus" program to push the grinch out.

Joe

I have still not sucessfully ungrinched my computer. What do you mean Snooky by installing another plus program. I'll do that, anything except Grinch.

Thanks for help!

MrsTFB in Tenn.

That stinking Grinch x-(
Isn't he supposed to give everything back after he relizes what Christmas is about ;-)

The Plus program that Joe mentions main attraction is its themes...my opinion anyway. It can be purchased through Microsoft (Ms Plus Pack). It comes with a number of themes and from what Joe indicates, will eradicate the Grinch when installed or reinstalled.

Now, if all else fails and you don't mind hacking the registry then look at the following key (I am guessing it is the same for Windows 9x..I am looking at W2K) anyway:

Hkey_Current_User\Control Panel\Desktop

You should see settings for "wallpaper" and "scrnsave.exe". You can delete the values here to reset to nothing.

There are also keys for Appearance, Colors, and Current which appear to deal with the desktop configuration.
Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

i just have part of the plus package, its the sci-fi program which is compatable with everything. not able to get into logo sys. tried the troubleshooting, no luck. i was able to get rid of almost everything except for when i reboot. i get the same as MRS.TFB. i shall attempt your next step Doug. wish me luck, i am still new to some of this stuff and hope iam not over my head. :|

joe

Just get rid of file c:\logo.sys - that is where Grinch is hiding. If windows does not find logo.sys file on startup, it will use default logo - those clouds.

If you want to replace logo with something different, check out here:

or many other sites exist.

Good luck.

BOKA you are amazing!! I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!!

I deleted the logo.sys and when I rebooted, I was back to my boring Windows 98 and clouds. I was actually glad to see them.

Thanks so much for your help!!! No more GRINCH for me.

In the Grinch's defense, I can recall something about deleting something and returning to the default, but who reads all that stuff when you are downloading something fun, like the Grinch.

Thanks again,
Hope this helps you out too, Snooky, sounds like we have done the same thing.

Later,
MrsTFB in Tennessee

where do i go to delete the logo.sys in order to remove the grinch. i tried it in msdos, but to no avail.

joe so much to learn, so much to do......

I did a Find in Explorer on the C:\ drive and deleted it from there. I'm not remembering where it actually was.

Hope this helps!

MrsTFB

MrsTFB,

Thats exactly where it is. LOGO.SYS is stored in the ROOT of the C:, or C:\

found the logo.sys, but :(,would not let me in . stated that it is not a valid Win 32 program. yet it is 127kb. i thought if i removed this it woud work. no such luck.

any other suggestions?

joe so much to learn, so much to do......

Wouldn't let you in? What are you trying to do with it? Just rename the file to LOGO.OLD Then restart your machine and you should see the familiar "clouds" screen as you go into Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back