Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chatterboxes..how to politely ask them to shut up? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucieLastic

Programmer
May 9, 2001
GB
hi All

I happen to sit quite close to a male colleague who could talk for England. He's a real chatterbox and natters constantly about frivolous things, drives me potty. I jokingly said to the person who sits next to him, 'has he gone...thought it was quiet'. This person immediately told him the next day and he agreed he chats all the time. Apparently, he still manages to get his work done. He's a nice bloke, not malicious in any way, just loves talking... or 'singing'.

How can I politely (without stirring it) say something to him or my manager about it? I don't want to cause tension in the office, I just want him to be quiet every so/more often.

lou

Talk to the fellow's supervisor and suggest that he seems to have a great deal of spare time. Volunteer to hand-off one of your tasks that you dislike to keep him busy! [poke]

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant/Custom Forms & PL/SQL - Oracle 8.1.7 - Windows 2000

I used to work with a chap I'd describe as a rhythm over-expressor. He had to beat out a quick tattoo on anything. If he was waiting for outlook to open, out would come two pencils and we'd get a burst of drumming. It really, really got on my nerves. But I never managed to find a solution...

You sure you're not sitting across the cube wall from me? I'm an incessant drummer and 95% of the time, it's when I'm thinking very hard and have no idea I'm doing it. I'm always a little embarrassed when it's pointed out to me, and I stop doing it, but really, there's not much of a thing I can do because I just don't know I'm doing it.

Now, chattering, yeah, I can see that.

The passive-aggressive would wear thick black headphones. The passive-aggressive who works in an office where they're not allowed to play music would wear heavy black headphones anyway, with the plug tucked into my pocket. Silently showing a supervisor the end of the plug in my pocket would convince them I was worth leaving alone on this issue. Alternately, just leave the plug hanging. When asked about it, shout loudly, as if through music "What? Oh, this is my favorite station. What? What?"

I obviously have no problem convincing people I'm freakier than they are, so when I'm being passive-aggressive, I can do these sorts of things easily.

On the other hand, I have no problem whatsoever with telling co-workers "Inside voices, please!" regardless of their volume. Once something interferes with my work, I empower my impetuous ass pretty damn quick.

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

This is all down to tolerance…..

I work in an office with 5 others:

1. One silence freak, who also likes a temperature somewhere below freezing point.

2. One prima donna, hypochondriac, chatterer, who is only happy if the temperature is tropical. Minor chatterer.

3. One chatterer, who likes a strong breeze.

4. One occasional prima donna, no major temperature preference.

5. One absentee occupant. (i.e. mostly absent, but when present seems to open window, turn up/down radiator, etc, to maximum annoyance – my hero!)

6. And me, totally normal (of course) but increasingly ticked off by the interchange.

If I wear a jacket, it is seen as evidence that the room is too cold, if I put my headphones on, too much noise.

So, when you see the headline “Woman massacres work colleagues” – you read it here first.

rosieb: If I wear a jacket, it is seen as evidence that the room is too cold, if I put my headphones on, too much noise.

[lol] and...?

I mean, it seems really simple to me: You put on a coat and headphones, someone asks "Too cold or noisy for you in here?" and you answer "Yes." What's the problem? If they have a problem with it, it is happily, joyfully, lovingly their problem. You've neatly taken care of your own problem by wearing a coat and headphones.

I mean, who else can you expect to attend to your needs?!

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

I'm quite capable of asking for windows to be shut, or asking my colleagues to lower the volume.

I dislike discovering my attire has been used to support someone else's personal crusade.

I'm always amazed how many people will continue to chatter at me when I've stuck my fingers in my ears, I'm humming loudly, and peering at a bit of paper/the screen from a distance of 5cm while tapping my foot impatiently. I mean, how many more signals can one body give?? But then again, how many futile chatterings have I issued at people glaring at their screens....

rosieb: I dislike discovering my attire has been used to support someone else's personal crusade.

I guess I still don't understand the problem.

If I put on headphones, it's because I want to listen to something. If other people are quieter, great -- I don't give a flip why.

If I put on a sweater or a coat, it's because I'm cold. If someone turns the heat up, then I'll probably be happier (unless I really love my coat). I don't care why they turned the heat up.

The only time this becomes a momentary annoyance is when Joe, seeing I'm wearing a coat, turns the heat up and everyone else crabs about it and Joe says "Hey, Edward was wearing a coat -- I was trying to be niiiiiiice." The best response I can give is some variation of "Joe, keep me out of your personal paranoia and weirdness." and go back to my work.

People will do whatever they do -- unless you chain 'em up in the basement and then it's just one screaming fit after another.

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

I wear a jacket because; I want to, don't get round to taking it off, am happy with the temperature, have a meeting coming up; take your choice.

Similarly, headphones mean; I need to concentrate, I'm sick of the chatter, or I feel like listening to music.

However, I'm growing closer to the conviction that these sort of arguments are down to "turf wars" (having just sat thru' 2 major sulks with obscenities and mice flying (it's fun watching someone hurl a mouse, the cable is somewhat limiting) plus a threat to resign. In this case, I think it's down to "I want a desk in a better position".

As an observer, it's amusing - but as a non-combatant, it's irritating because it sets up a bad atmosphere and is distracting - I'm busy, and I don't, personally, care whether it's 20C or 23C, but I do care if my colleagues cannot discuss a business issue rationally. (If I wanted to work in a kindergarten, I'd have trained as a teacher).

It's amazing, what I read in some of these discussions. Someone who actually picked up and threw a mouse, should be fired on the spot. That's far beyond unprofessional.

Of course, this is what our culture is breeding for us.

Jeff
If your mind is too open your brains will fall out...

Even worse, they missed the target - that is what is totally unprofessional.

Rosie

At least throw a keyboard...you'll have a better chance of hitting your target!!! (Of course it's probably not as good if you're going for distance...)

Hope This Helps!

Ecobb
- I hate computers!

Jeez, one would think IT people would at least be smart enough to throw something not attached to their own computer with a cable! I have plenty of loose objects around my desk, why didn't they have any? I must say these stories do make me appreciate my private office more and more.

I prefer to work in an open-plan office, that way I know what is going on, it's amazing how people will start a project without realizing the impact on others (even those in the same department)- often gives me a warning of impending disaster. However, it definitely has its drawbacks, I do admit (occasionally) to fantasising of a little light GBH.

Maybe I should get the coffee pot removed on Health and Safety grounds.

>coffee pot removed on Health and Safety grounds

In an office of IT people? Do you not value your own life?[lol]

If you very seriously wave your pencil at them and pronounce "Silencio!" they might eventually become quiet just to keep you from doing it again.

Likewise if you whisper "Silencio" in their ears every time they chatter.

You could also encourage them to talk about other more useful things. Here are some great conversation starters:
"When does your credit card expire, again?"
"Where do you keep the spare key to the house?"
"What's the approximate street value of your entertainment system?"
"Which car's yours?"

Beats throwing things.

Cheers,

Edward

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back