Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change start Button's image (W95)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivforum

Technical User
Dec 12, 2001
IN
Can some one tell me , how can i change the image of Window's Start Button (I mean, the image on right side of START text) AND replace with some other image, by making modifications in Registry OR Some other file..

There was a shell tweaking utility (not TweakUI) I stumbled across a while back that let you change the text of the start button. Poking around, I realized that it was actually twiddling some bytes in the Explorer.exe file. I'd guess that the image for the start button (the little Windows flag) is probably in there, too. If so, its probably not something the casual user will want to mess with. But if you're determined, I'd start in the executable.

Thanks dcj2

I know how to change the text, By making change in Explorer.exe, But i don't where the Hex value, r located for the Windows Flag, Pls let me know in which form, that image is located in explorer.exe OR just a path of that image is specified there. Pls let me know about this...The steps to do it ...Cause...I want to try it out myself...:)

VIV

Mail me...I will give u the .exe which easily change the name.

believe me this is neither virus nor trojan

mail me on
thirteenjuly@hotmail.com

Did a little more digging and found that the icon for the START button is actuially stored in USER.EXE. Use your favorite icon editor to open/edit the icons in the file. There are multiple copies of the icon in different sizes to accomodate your screen resolution, so you'll either have to change them all, or through trial and error determine which one you need for your settings. As always, make sure you have a backup copy of the file before you make any changes! Since it loads on bootup, you'll probably need to reboot to see you changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back