Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-ROM Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

treeteky

Technical User
Dec 6, 2004
US
I just installed a new CD-ROM Drive- a GOLDSTAR 80???B *can't exactly remember the name* and it is detected in BIOS, Windows, and it opens and closes, but when I try to get to the CD by clicking on the drive icon a message pops up that says "E: is not accessible: the drive is not ready." Any ideas on what is going on or how to fix this?

A 1/2 empty glass + 1/2 empty glass = 1 empty glass.

treeteky,
You're jumping around quite a bit. Why not take a more systematic approach? Maybe the 3rd time's a charm:

1) [navy]Did you or did you not replace the IDE cable on the secondary IDE channel?[/navy]
[tab] Cables are cheap and not very durable. You should always try this
[tab]regardless if the cable worked with another device.

2) [navy]Even if it's not the cable, have you made sure that you left the CDROM all by itself using the END connector?[/navy]
[tab] As mentioned above twice, using the middle connector can cause
[tab]trouble when there is no other device on the same cable.

3) [navy]Did you ever take the suggestion from your fellow compadres into consideration, of using a Win98 boot disk to test the CD-ROM drive at a DOS prompt?[/navy]
[tab] This would have saved you the tedious task of doing a clean install.

All I'm asking is that you answer each one so the rest of us can get a better idea of what you've done, or why you skipped some of the suggestions.
[hairpull3]

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I'm sorry for causing confusion.

1. Yes, I replaced the secondary IDE cable with a tested and working IDE cable.

2. The CD-ROM drive is all by itself at the end of the connector with jumpers set to master.

3. Yes, I have tested the CD-ROM at a DOS prompt.

I tried not to skip any of the suggestions, but I didn't have access to a computer for two days, and that was when all the posts started piling in. Sorry for confusion, I hope this clears things up a little.

OK, now we're getting somewhere! [wink]

So when you reinstalled Windows, you used another CD-ROM drive I'm assuming since this one hasn't worked at all?

If you are unable to access the CD-ROM drive from a DOS prompt, and you've tried repositioning the drive on another working cable, then it sounds as if it's hardware related. The final test would be to try it in another PC if that's an option just to be sure. But it might not be worth the trouble, since you can buy a replacement for less than $30.

It's possible that the Secondary IDE channel is hosed, so be sure to try the drive as 'slave' on the Primary as well.

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Tried the drive on slave, master and cable select on both IDE places and nothing worked. The cable has been tested and it works, and the drive has been tested and it works, and I have no idea what the problem is.

Likely a bad drive. Perhaps English is not your first language (no offense if it is), but for the 3rd time in this thread, try the drive in another PC.

If that's not an option, or if it doesn't work, then "replace" the drive for a measely $30!

~cdogg

Sorry if I haven't been clear: The drive works in other computers, but not my own. I have tested other drives that work in other computers but not my own. I have tried a hard drive in its place and the hard drive worked. The problem is that I can't access CD's that I put in the drive. The drive is recognized in windows and BIOS but it can't access information on the CD.

YOu said that you tested it with DOS but you didn't say if it worked or not.

You can also try testing it as slave on primary channel. That should eliminate the secondary as the problem. Or as CS if that is what the hard drive is using. You can also put it as master on primary with no hard drive to see if the EBD will read it there.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

YOu said that you tested it with DOS but you didn't say if it worked or not."

Please clarify. The above is an important element towards resolution. Boot with a 98(SE) EBD. If a drive letter is assigned to the drive, try changing to that letter and try several CD's in the drive with the "dir" command. If you get a directory/file listing, the CDROM drive, cable, and IDE channel is OK. Make sure you try "factory made" CD's and any burnt CD's you may have.

Post back with these reults.

It's a good day when you learn something

In DOS the CD still can't be read. The error that "drive E: is not ready" or something to that effect is displayed after trying to access the CD.

Factory made CD's - Not reading

Burnt CD's - Not reading

I know the drive is OK.
I know the cable is OK.
That leaves the IDE channel. Can this be fixed without buying a new motherboard?

That leaves the IDE channel. Can this be fixed without buying a new motherboard?"

As ski mentioned earlier, you can get a PCI controller card.

It's a good day when you learn something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back