Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD-ROM Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

treeteky

Technical User
Dec 6, 2004
US
I just installed a new CD-ROM Drive- a GOLDSTAR 80???B *can't exactly remember the name* and it is detected in BIOS, Windows, and it opens and closes, but when I try to get to the CD by clicking on the drive icon a message pops up that says "E: is not accessible: the drive is not ready." Any ideas on what is going on or how to fix this?

A 1/2 empty glass + 1/2 empty glass = 1 empty glass.

Make sure that the IDE channel that the drive is connected to is enabled in BIOS and the channel has no problems in Device Manager, make sure that its cables are securely connected, check that the red or blue or gray stripe along the one edge of the IDE cable is next to the power cord on the back of the drive and next to pin 1 at the MB connector, try different jumper settings and a different IDE channel, install a different known working IDE cable, and connect a different power lead to it.

If no luck, then start up with a Windows 98 boot floppy inserted, select 'Start with CD-ROM support', press Enter, at the A:\> prompt type DIR X: (where X is your CD-ROM drive's assigned letter that's noted just above the A:\> prompt), insert a data CD, and press Enter.
If you do not see the contents of the CD, then the drive is probably bad.
Or see if it works in a different system. If not, then it's probably bad.
If not, then it's probably bad.

The IDE cable is connected correctly, jumpers are correct, it is detected in BIOS as an ATAPI device, it has power, it opens and closes, it is detected in Windows as a CD-ROM drive, but contents cannot be accessed even from prompt.

Suspicion that you have a read problem. Do you have access to another drive you could swap in? Or other CDs.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Try a different known working IDE cable, and connect a different power lead to it.
If no luck, then the drive may be bad.

I tried two other drives that work on other computers but not mine, even after drivers are installed. I tried a new IDE cable, messed with the jumpers, tried putting the drive on the secondary slave, and nothing worked. I can open/close and see the drive in Windows and BIOS, but the CD can't be accessed. This is getting annoying.

When you start with a Windows 98 emergency boot floppy, and select 'Start with CD-ROM support', is a letter assigned to the CD-ROM drive?

If not, then the DOS drivers on the floppy are not compatible with the drive.

If a letter is assigned to the drive in DOS and the contents of a CD cannot be seen, then there's a hardware problem either with the drive, the IDE cable, the power cable, or the IDE channel.

Since two other working drives do not work in your system, then we can likely rule out a problem with the drive.

Definitely try replacing the IDE cable first. Go into the BIOS and make sure everything on the secondary IDE channel is properly set. If you have any other devices on that channel, disconnect them and leave this one by itself. Set it to Master and make sure it's located at the "end" of the cable. Do not use the middle connector when the drive is by itself (which can cause problems like what you've described).

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I'm guessing the channel is fried somehow, because the drive is ok, the jumpers are ok, IDE cable is ok... The channel is located on the motherboard, correct? So I can't fix it without purchasing a new computer (or motherboard)?

You can install a PCI IDE controller card.

Any indications in device manager that there are problems with the hard disk controller? And what shows there?

The emergency boot disk uses different drivers than windows does, and usually reads even when windows hangs up.

If the CD shows in BIOS and in windows the information concerning the drive is getting through the chips to the processor.

There can be timing problems that cause them to fail to read. Long cables can affect the noise level making data bad and thus unreadable.

And there have been problems with Intel chipsets and VIA chipsets. How about trying Mitchell, Sandra, or Belarc and see what chipset is on the M/B.

Ed Fair

treeteky,
Before we go any further, please verify that you have tried swapping in a different IDE cable, and that you've made sure it's the only device on that cable not using the middle connector.

(Or in other words, pretty much what I suggested in my last post)
[wink]

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

What a coincidence:) I have recenlty got the same problem as treetekey mentions. I have a CD-Rom Samsung SCR-3232 which doesn't read any data that are on my CD's. The device is functioning properly which is it opens and closes but I can't get access to the CD. I am running Win98 and from the device manager see that there is nothing wrong with the drive:(

Besides that problem, I can't even use my keyboard now. I don't know whether its because of any spyware or a trojan that might have caused this problem. My pc was functioning well until a couple of days ago. Now I can't get access to the BIOS to see if there is any probelm.

I have a laptop which I frequently use and don't use this pc much. I haven't made any physical changes to this pc, only that I recenlty installed a new firewall program (can't remember it now) plus Spyware Doctor (the recent version) which I doubt could make such problems.

Can anyone help me to start using the keyboard in the first place, so I can follow the steps which are mentioned here?
I have checked the cables and they seem to be normal and properly placed.

Well, start by powering off the PC completely. Unplug both the keyboard and the AC power cord from the back of the PC. Hold the PC power button down for a few seconds (this will drain most of the charge that the motherboard might still have). Then reconnect everything and try again. If it still doesn't work, replace the keyboard.

~cdogg

Well I did what you mentioned cdogg. The keyboard after starting/restarting the PC starts to flash the lights for Num Lock + Caps Lock + Scrol Lock for once, and then it doesn't show any light flashing after that.

Do you think its the keyboard that has the problem and need to get replaced by a new one, or could it be something else?
It looks very strange that suddenly there are two problems with my PC.

There are many possibilities, but I would start by either replacing the keyboard, or trying it on another PC to be sure.

~cdogg

You might also try resetring the CMOS back to basics. It may not make any difference. The keyboard swap is good , but usually people don't have the spare sitting right there.
Usually, the deyboard lights flashing indicates that the keyboard data lines are working correctly. And spyware won't make the basic keyboard go away.

Ed Fair

Some CD drives can be fussy about media. Give 'em a home burnt CD and they turn their noses up at it, but a commercial CD appears to be read perfectly ok.

The other thing to try would be to put an old hard disk on the second IDE channel and see if you can read, format it etc. That'll tell you if the mobo interface is fully working or not...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Well my first problem is now solved. I just purchased a new keyboard and yes its now working. I guess there is something wrong with the cable of that old keyboard.

Anyway now I can go and see what it could be wrong in the BIOS of my PC.

Well the media can sometimes be a problem playing on some drivers, I have expereinced that. I have an original Win 98 for this PC and there wasn't any problem with it before, but now it doesn't even read this cd.
I have swaped CD-rom's place fom primary to the secondary position but it didn't work.

Hey, I'm back! I can access hard drives on that cable. This just complicates the problem more. Is it a selective problem that has something to do with Windows programming or what? I tried a clean install of Windows and still couldn't access the CD-ROM. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back