Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNA -> Job 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCNA2

Technical User
Nov 23, 2003
DK
Hi, I currently work with servicing computer hardware and I took the CCNA to have better chances in getting a job in networking. My probem is that I have little to none in practical experience. Would you recommend that I went for more certifications, maybe Microsoft certifications, to give me better chances?

It would be nice to hear from someone who works with networking and hear about what the job requires of you.
Is it enough to have Cisco certifications if one wants to work at a company site and not drive around servicing others. Or does one need more competences like in Microsoft products?

Thanks

Thomas

Read this thread with interest and would like to make a few comments regarding qualifications/certifications.

The situation in the UK seems to be very different to the US in respect of the 'value' of degrees etc so I can only comment from a UK perspective.

Here, degrees are largely considered worthless for those looking at Systems/Networking careers. Maybe the curriculum is different, but experience has shown that graduates just don't cut it in a production environment. My employer looks at degrees for Sales/Marketing/Admin, but not for IT. Many graduates submit CVs and are surprised when they are advised to get some experience/certifications under their belt. One of our current top engineers graduated, only to have to beg to work unpaid whilst moving back in with his parents whilst getting that all important foot in the door. Now his Cisco/Microsoft/Nokia certs are to the fore whilst his BSc isn't even on the business card.

Here, cerifications are the prime advertisement of a professionals knowledge and skill (especially when combined with a relevent career history). The stock of Cisco certs is riding particulary high atm whilst Microsoft struggles to shake off the 'braindump' image.

Degrees start becoming relevent once an individual makes the transition from Networking Professional into the broader business oriented MIS management role. Until then, certifications are the key to careers. Get a foot in the door, learn on the job, get certified, get hands on experience and then look at Bachelors/Masters once you are starting to look at breaking into management. At least that is how it works here.

Interesting about the UK. I beleive ( if I remember correctly ), being accredited by the CCTT (Canada), I roughly matchup with the Incorporated Engineer designation under the Sydney Accord, with a CCNP.

Any work for that type over there? [morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back