Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't ping Router on Release 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien111

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2002
US
I've setup several boxes now on our WAN, but I have three running Open Server Release 5 that will not come up. I've set the IP, added the route in /etc/tcp, checked all the host files and I can ping the box itself. I cannot ping the router. This is a basic TCP/IP setup on a WAN using 192.168.x.xxx addresses. Help!

Jeff, MCP

hve u checked the subnets

[ponder]
----------------
ur feedback is a very welcome deisre

Can you post the output of
Code:
 ifconfig -a; netstat -rn
and what is the IP@ of the router you want to ping.

Netstat gives me this:

Dest Gateway Flags Refs Use Interface

default 192.168.4.1 ugs 0 0 net1
127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 uh 3 252 lo0
192.168.4 192.168.4.105 uc 1 0 net1
192.168.4.105 127.0.0.1 ughs 0 0 lo0
224 192.168.4.105 ucs 0 0 net1

This is Openserver RElease5.0.6

The router I'm trying to ping 192.168.4.1
The IP of the box is 192.168.4.105

Jeff, MCP

Didn't get ifconfig -a yet. The box is at a remote location, but I will post it late this afternoon.

Jeff, MCP

Ifconfig -a:

net1: flags 4043(up,broadcast,running,multicast) mtu 1500
inet 192.168.4.105 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.4.255
perf param rec size 4096 send 8192 full size frames:1
ether 00:4e:46:03:00:00

lo0: flags 4049(up,loopback,running,multicast) mtu 8232
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
perf param rec size 57344 send 57344full size frames:1

Do you need anything else?

Jeff, MCP

All settings on the SCO box seems correct (route, netmask, ...)
Can the SCO ping another machine in this local area (192.168.4) and can the other machines in this lan ping the router and ping the SCO box ?
What about a traceroute from SCO to a machine outside the lan (like 192.168.x.y) ?

I can ping the local host. I cannot ping the router. I cannot ping a 2000 box with an ip of 192.168.4.101 because the router is an Adtran with a built in switch. Both boxes are plugged into it which is in turn plugged into our frame. I have eight of these and 5 came up without a hitch, but three are not. Don't know what else to try.

Jeff, MCP

Pinging successfully the localhost just means that the TCP/IP stack is correctly installed. You may still have problem with NIC, cable, switch, ...
Can the 2000 box ping the router ?
If yes I would test the SCO with a cross-wired RJ45 cable between them and the 2000 server.

Hope This Help
PH.

I can ping the router and the whole network with the 2000 box. I also changed the nic, the cable and the switch works because it's built into the CSU and that's where the 2000 box is plugged in. Go figure.

Thanks anyway. Anyone else?

Jeff, MCP

Just a though: Is the /etc/hosts populated ?

What do you mean by populated? I made sure there were no bogus ip addresses in it and made sure the one I want is correct, but other than that, I don't know.

Jeff, MCP

When you say "I cannot ping" ...what is the response?

no route to host?
host is down?
just hangs?

I have been watching this issue, as I have a similar one. EVERYTHING checks out, but I cannot ping outside the local node. I have set up countless SCO boxes, and never had this happen. I am suspecting the NIC card on my box is not functioning properly, so I am going to change mine out and reload, even though it was a new card.

Have you tried another IP Address that you know has never been used in your environment, or flushed the cache on your router/switch? (If the router/switch has cached an IP you are trying to use, with another MAC assigned to it, you will not be able to use it until the cache is flushed)

It states Host is down when I try to ping. I have not flushed the cache because it was a new CSU/Router.

Jeff, MCP

Since it thinks it knows the route to the host you are trying to ping, try running a traceroute (as PHV suggested) and see if it is going somewhere unexpected. (after flushing your router's cache)

If all else fails, try de-installing and re-installing the NIC driver, or try a different NIC all-together. Could be the card is damaged (I've had this happen several times where the card can transmit, but can't receive), or maybe the driver didn't load properly. Yes, it does happen.

Just another idea: No firewall on the SCO box ?

Hope This Help
PH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back