Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't ping Router on Release 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien111

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2002
US
I've setup several boxes now on our WAN, but I have three running Open Server Release 5 that will not come up. I've set the IP, added the route in /etc/tcp, checked all the host files and I can ping the box itself. I cannot ping the router. This is a basic TCP/IP setup on a WAN using 192.168.x.xxx addresses. Help!

Jeff, MCP

No firewall. It is a private frame with no outside access. I have also replaced the nics, cales etc to no avail. The only thing I can think of is somewhere deep down there is some sort of setting put there by a previous IT guy that is hanging me up. I did not set these boxes up. I just configured the network aspect of it. I will be running a tracert today and posting the results.

Jeff, MCP

Ran traceroute and it just hangs. After 5 minutes I hit delete and stopped it. I really didn't expect much since I can't ping the router I didn't expect to get a route to it.

Jeff, MCP

Have you tried to connect directly the win2000 to the sco ?

check llistat -l or ndtstat -l. in fact pls chek TA no 110726 at most of it has been suggested, but this TA would give u the order of steps lsited

[ponder]
----------------
ur feedback is a very welcome desire

Sorry it took so long to get back here, but I'm a one man shop with 16 locations. I connected the SCO box with the 2000 box directly with a crossover cable and could not ping either box from the other one. It has to be something in the SCO setup. Guess I'm gonna have to start from scratch.

Jeff, MCP

You actually definitively know that the the problem is inside the SCO box.
I'm sorry for my poor english language confidence. I've suggested 2 weeks ago a cross-wired connection without knowing that the correct term was crossover. I take a note to be more efficient next time.

Don't worry PHV. No big deal. I've been struggling with this for a while now. I guess I was hoping to pop in here and find the magic answer.

Jeff, MCP

Have you tried the NIC in a different slot?

It could also be a duplexing issue/conflict/mismatch.

No conflicts are present on the system. I really can't try another slot due to the fact that these are old boxes and and most slots are used with cards for the POS system, modem and SCSI adapters.

Jeff, MCP

No obvious messages in /usr/adm/messages and /usr/adm/syslog ?

did u try llistat -l or ndtstat -l. in fact pls chek TA no 110726

[ponder]
----------------

I ran ndstat and both in and out were 0. This means the network interface is probably using a different interrupt vector than it's device driver from waht I've read. How do I fix this in SCO?

Jeff, MCP

what kind of card eisa/isa/pci ? for eisa u have utility and for other two fix it in bios. for isa u may have a (dos) s/w or a jumper setting. then istall in unix

in sco setting is through its driver or modifying throgu /sdevice
for pci there is no setting

besides when checking llistat/ndtstat if hope u tried to cmmunicate on thta car i.e ping etc.

[ponder]
----------------

Jeff, if you suspect a discrepancy between H/W and S/W you can take a look at the following listings:
Code:
hw -v
hwconfig -h

Hope This Help
PH.

I have another question. Being the UNIX guru that I'm not, I have a 905B 3com card that I want to swap in one of the boxes. I downloaded the driver and I have it on a disk. How do I access this driver from th edisk in UNIX? What do I need to do to install it?

Jeff, MCP

Can you post the download's URL , so we can take a lokk ?

Ok. I got one of the three up by removing the Dlink PCI card and replacing it with an ISA 3Com 509TP. Relinked and it came right up. SO I tried that with the others and no go. I ahve one box that I've tried 3 nics in. It is not a cable (I've replaced it with known working cables)or router issue (2000 box comes up fine). I can ping the the boxes IP, but not the router. Yes I added the route. I get host is down when I try to ping the router. It has to be in the setup. Help!

Jeff, MCP

whta is the dlink card u are using ? . in fact i have 2 systems with two diff type dlnk pci cards one on sco (538-tx model) and one on linux. and both are sucessful

by the way did u try to this card on another system

also try bios route for pci setting

[ponder]
----------------

Have you figured this out Sysadminguy?

Jeff, MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back