Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't ping Router on Release 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien111

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2002
US
I've setup several boxes now on our WAN, but I have three running Open Server Release 5 that will not come up. I've set the IP, added the route in /etc/tcp, checked all the host files and I can ping the box itself. I cannot ping the router. This is a basic TCP/IP setup on a WAN using 192.168.x.xxx addresses. Help!

Jeff, MCP

still sounds like you have hw conflicts.

i/o address or irq (this is what usually changes when you change slots or go from pci to isa).

did you do the listings of
hw -v
and
hwconfig -h
that PHV suggested you do?

There are no hardware conflicts that I can see. If there were, why would I be able to ping everything but the router? Hwconfig shows the adapter is fine. SCO picked it up, the IRQ is fine as wellas teh mem address. I did make one mistake though. The version is 5.0.2c not 5.0.6.

Jeff, MCP

No, from what you have been saying you have not been able to ping anything from this sco box (except the one you changed to an isa card).
"I connected the SCO box with the 2000 box directly with a crossover cable and could not ping either box from the other one."

This says you are not getting out of the hardware layer on the nic. Pinging the ip address of the nic from the localhost just tells you that the tcp stack is configured correctly not if the hardware is working.

"I really can't try another slot due to the fact that these are old boxes and and most slots are used with cards for the POS system, modem and SCSI adapters."
This also suggests that you will have very few options on available irq's and io addresses.

5.0.2 is also a very old (and buggy) version. Have you got all the suppliments loaded? (swconfig)

Just a quick follow up...I upgraded the boxes to 5.0.6 and they came right up. All is well now. Thanks fo rall your help people.

Jeff, MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back