Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Decide

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoDrama

Technical User
Jul 26, 2006
US
Hello, I'm a N00b. I want to change my career and go into the IT field. I have some knowledge of network design, but I also like to code and program.

My question is which field is more stable in terms of job security and pay. Is it network design or software development. I have the aptitude to understand and excel at either one.

I have a pretty secure career now as a cop, I just can't see myself doing it for the next twenty years.

I'm 33, is it to late?

Both are fairly stable fields, if I was in your position I really would just go with the one I enjoyed the most. I believe that on average, a programmer will earn a fair bit more than a network admin.

At 33? Age has nothing to do with it :)

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

a programmer will earn a fair bit more than a network admin.

Over here it's just the other way.

But programming is more fun in the long run. Both fields will need you to keep up to date on aregular basis. So lots of time will be spent on research and not always at work.

Perhaps try looking into the forensics part of the job as a cop you will have an extra advantage. Well over here they have anyway.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

"My new site" - Me

How long have you been a cop? You most likely have a pension plan, something almost no one in the private sector has. If you are close to being vested in your pension, you need to consider this.

You could do moonlighting in thr meantime to possibly get started.

Also, your choices aren't limited to programming or network administration. I know little of either skill and I am well over 6 figures annually. There are many more areas of expertise.

Why not combine your law enforcement skills with your IT skills? You could develop a product that law enforcement could use, or consult for other police depts on the use of technology. This would be a particularly good way to transition.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"making predictions is tough, especially about the future" - Yogi Berra

--dgillz

I've been a cop for about 8 years, however, I've split time between two departments so I have about 6 six years 'til I'm vested in my current department's pension.

Again I'm new to this site, so I'm sorry, I probably should have put this post on the "My Development as a Professional" thread.

Thanx for the replies.

Have any of you ever heard of Western Governors University, their curriculum 0ffers some certifications as part of the degree program(CompTIA is one),.

I'm half way home to my degree, so in about a year and a half, what will the standards be for entry level positions. Will it be hard to get my foot in the door.

Some of the best career advice i got was: you don't get into programming to make 6 figures, u make 6 figures because you love to program. I think the same is true in all fields of IT. I'm no where near 6 figures but i enjoy my job = me being happy. Pick what enjoy and run with it.

If you really have a strong desire to get into IT work, see if you can do that for your police force. Not sure if he still is, but the CIO of the chicago police force is a chicago police officer. He came from within.

See if there are opportunities at your workplace to do IT work. It may take a bit extra hours but it would be real experience and that is something you cannot buy. Anything that does not work as smoothly as you would like? Any process that could be improved? Any things that yall dread doing for your job because of some form of paperwork? These are all good opportunites to look at.

If you do it well enough you may be able to convince them to make that your full time job. People that once did those things have a better perspective on the problem.

I tried out for a cop 3 times. Didn't make it for a few reasons (one they weren't hiring white males).
I am in IT now.
I would stay with the police force over IT.
If you really want to do IT stuff, stay a cop and do computing on the side. You may also find IT positions within the police force. Lot's of options there, and you wouldn't lose the benefits.
Sometimes IT gets slow and boring.

Chris

I love the challenges that programming presents on a daily basis. However in my position I also get to do some analysis and database administration, and that mixes things up a bit. I am probably not paid as well as I could be, but I love my job. j4606's advice was the best I have to offer, pick the one that you enjoy the most.

Good Luck!

Alex

It's a magical time of year in Philadelphia. Eagles training camp marks the end of another brutal season of complaining about the Phillies.

MoDrama,

I have a pretty secure career now as a cop, I just can't see myself doing it for the next twenty years.
I've been a cop for about 8 years, however, I've split time between two departments so I have about 6 six years 'til I'm vested in my current department's pension.

I understand you don't see yourself being a cop for the next twenty years, but why twenty? If I were you, I would probably stay six more years, till the pension is vested - you rarely get a pension plan in IT, unless you are working for the government or a governmental agency. Meanwhile, you can try to develop your skills right in your department - create some application for them, or find another ways to apply yourself right where you are - and you will have something to put in your resume afterwards.

You can also check if your job will pay your educational expenses - most likely, they have that benefit. You can take some college classes (or even get a degree), or, possibly, prepare and take a few tests for certificates. While they are not necessary required for many IT jobs, they could be very helpful for a person who switches fields and have somewhat limited job experience.

Back to the choice of programming or network design:

First and foremost - as already mentioned - IT for most people is about passion for technology, you should consider which of the two options you enjoy the most - as this will be the one that you truly excel at... just because you can do something doesn't mean you will - you have to keep yourself interested otherwise you will fail to reach your potential.

Secondly, one thing to consider is that 'playing' at network design in your spare time (in other words learning and practicing) can be comparatively expensive - have a look at the cost of the latest Cisco router models, the price of SAN's, etc etc - to "learn networking by practical application" it will cost you a fair bit if you don't have access to some spare kit at work. However programming is essentially free (for most things) - free Databases, free IDE's, free compilers, free tutorials, etc etc. Meaning you can start practicing with real examples immediately and build things that are useful to you - maybe a small contacts database, a website, a media converter, etc etc - all it will cost is your time.

Having said that you can get to grips with the basics and the concepts if you buy a couple of PC's a cheap router and hub etc, use a combination of windows and Linux/FreeBSD/OpenBSD, and try out some of the free firewalling and proxy software. You can learn plenty of the basics from this, but you will be somewhat limited in regards to some of the entperprise networking solutions due to your budget.

Either way, good luck, and remember to choose with your heart, not with your head.. really... you'll understand what I mean if you make the wrong choice and *hate* your job (everything is fun when you're first learning - it's the rest of the time you need to be thinking of)

Best of luck either way

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

Quote: "IT for most people is about passion for technology, you should consider which of the two options you enjoy the most - as this will be the one that you truly excel at... just because you can do something doesn't mean you will - you have to keep yourself interested otherwise you will fail to reach your potential."

Well said, damber.

You have to be passionate about it to stay happy, so choose carefully.

IT for most people is about passion for technology
The passion will become dimmer for most everyone. I no longer read, read, read everthing I can about Unix or have 3 servers at home just for testing early into the morning and all weekend as I did when starting out.

Now I understand I have a life outside of work.

Others I know in IT feel this way to. You can enjoy what you do but it isn't all consuming. As it should be.

Hello MoDrama,

I have been in IT for six years now doing different things. I want to do the Network Admin thing it appeals to me. Being a cop means you have your foot in the door. It would be good to stay with the department but try to move into IT within it.

Wiz

Sometimes IT gets slow and boring.

I have never encountered this scenario as a programmer.

When I first started out I asked a guy who I highly respected, "so what makes a good programmer?". I expected a long, complex answer. He just said, "It's someone who is busy".

It seemed like an overly-simplified answer but he was right. If you are good at what you do, you'll probably have too much to do. You'll have projects growing out of your ears.

To be good in the IT field I also think you have to be a good researcher, as well as resourceful. No matter how many classes you take, or books you read, you WILL ALWAYS run into situations that the classes or books can't answer. Classes and books represent an "in vitro" or test tube environment.

I would suspect this would be the case for the network world as well.

But I would say this. If you have a natural aptitude for math and logic, you would be well suited for the programming world.

At 33, it's not too late to make a career change. Everyone can give you their best advice, but in the end you have to trust your instincts and yearnings.

I worked somewhere that offered tests to decide where you would be best placed and if indeed you were the kind of person the company wanted (mentioned in another thread somewhere I'm sure!)

They had a question whcih they used to 'weed' out programming aptitude. I'm sure I completely agree, but will post it anyway.

Ok, so the puzzle is this.

There are three rooms, each with a wall-light. Around a corner there are three light switches. You cannot see the rooms from the light switches, but you know all of them are off, and all of the lights are off.

You can do what ever you like to the switches, but cannot leave this area more than once.

What do you do to the switches to enable you to correctly align the switches to the rooms after just one visit to the rooms?

Answers on a postcard...

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Answer:

Code:
Select text to view:..
[COLOR=white]
Turn the first light switch on.
Turn the second light switch on and wait 15 mins.
Turn the second light switch off.
Goto the rooms..:
  Light Switch One Activates the room with the light on.
  Light Switch Two Activates the room wiht no light on, but a hot bulb
  Light Switch Three Activates the room with no light on, and a cold bulb.

(caution: light bulbs get very hot)

[/color]

I'm not so sure that is a question to test programming aptitude either (I think you meant not sure...). This is basically a test of problem solving and creative thinking ability, which is useful in ANY job, not just programming.

MoDrama - Any luck with your decision yet?

Alex

Professor: But what about your superintelligence?
Gunther: When I had that there was too much pressure to use it. All I want out of life is to be a monkey of moderate intelligence who wears a suit. That's why I've decided to transfer to Business School.
Professor: NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

damber - you passed! now you are doomed to a life of programming...

Alex

Professor: But what about your superintelligence?
Gunther: When I had that there was too much pressure to use it. All I want out of life is to be a monkey of moderate intelligence who wears a suit. That's why I've decided to transfer to Business School.
Professor: NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

As you say, it isn't really a test of programming ability - just of creative thinking, and it is not an absolute either - I wouldn't hire or fire someone based on this questio - that would be utter madness.

I remember a (very) long time ago when I went for a multi-purpose IT job at a small company... they did a 'practical' test, which entailed them pretending to be a user on the end of a phone, and me as the support guy - trying to identify their problem... turned out that the power was out so the 'pretend user' couldn't do anything. Didn't take very long, and it just seemed surreal, and useless.

However, I've interviewed/hired a fair few people in my time - especially contractors/consultants, and a practical test can be very useful if done properly.. and not taken as the only measurement. In otherwords, the approach to the problem is more interesting than the answer provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back