Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Decide

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoDrama

Technical User
Jul 26, 2006
US
Hello, I'm a N00b. I want to change my career and go into the IT field. I have some knowledge of network design, but I also like to code and program.

My question is which field is more stable in terms of job security and pay. Is it network design or software development. I have the aptitude to understand and excel at either one.

I have a pretty secure career now as a cop, I just can't see myself doing it for the next twenty years.

I'm 33, is it to late?

I agree - It doesn't show an aptitude necessarily; what it does is show if you can think around a problem and not just follow instructions.

Interesting though!

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Microsoft is renowned for some pretty odd interview questions, such as:

Why are manhole covers round?

What kind of an answer is that?

The proper answer is that no matter how you try to drop the manhole cover in the manhole, you can't. Unless you break it. It's a safety issue.

"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke, without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of UNIX."
"Well, that's something," Avi says. "Normally those two are mutually exclusive."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon"

What kind of an answer is that?
The same answer you gave only first.

The proper answer is that no matter how you try to drop the manhole cover in the manhole, you can't. Unless you break it. It's a safety issue.
Which means the diameter of the cover is larger than the diameter of the hole.

With a police background I would look into a career in the security end of the business or forensic computing. There's a lot of need and not many people who are qualified. You might also consider the IT auditing world.

All of those areas would beenfit from the investigative skills of the police officer and that background would probably give you an entry into the field that another new IT person might not have.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874
Click here to help with Hurricane Relief

I see people are having a lot of fun with that manhole cover question...lol

I think that's why Microsoft uses that one in the first place.

There is no real answer apparently, because there are several reasons why they are round.

Another reason it's round is that it makes it easier to transport them back and to be replaced. You can just roll them.

And presumably it doesn't matter which way they are orientated when you replace them.

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back