Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not connect to Unified Manager after BIT Tool Imaging 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

skully1997

Programmer
Jun 3, 2006
can someone help me out please?
i reimaged a BCM 400 3.7 using the Nortel BIT Tool and the 3.7 imaging cd's. i was givin the BCM IMAGING COMPLETED screen when it was finished. i pulled the power cord to the BCM and disconnected the cd-rom, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. plugged the power back up and hyperterminaled into the BCM and performed a Universal Profile Initialization on the hard drive. during that process i was given the Region Initialization Menu to select a MSC Core upload, so i selected U.S. [MSC: Etiquette Modem: North America]. It did several reboots and i got services up according to the lights on the front of the BCM. all the lights looked like they should for a normal running system.

My problem is that i can not get to Unified Manager from web browser.
I can ping the machine just fine.
I can hyperterminal into it just fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

IE xx.xx.xx.xx :6800

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Thanks, but i have tried :6800. Does not work!

1.) verify the BCM lan addresses and masks when you hyperterm in.
2.) As stated above, double check your pc's LAN address is set accordingly
3.) Make sure someone didn't swap your cross over cable w/ a straight though cable.

Did you ensure that the status was 6.2 when you hyperterminaled (assuming via serial port) in?

LAN1 default IP is 10.10.10.1/255.255.255.0 so ensure your PC IP addy is 10.10.10.2 or higher.

I have double checked IP address and PC's Lan is set accordingly. Like i said earlier i can ping the box just fine.

Could it possibly be that my MSC card went bad or that there is a service that is not running?

performed a Universal Profile Initialization on the hard drive"

Did you do a CORE INI?

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

I have done universal profile initialization and core initialization.

no luck yet.

i've even reimaged another hard drive and still the same results.

skully1997,

I have done many BIT images for the 3.6 with no problems then all of a sudden I am having the exact same issues as you. All looks good but cannot connect through browser. Have found anything else out yet?

This may be a total shot in the dark...

Try settting the date on the BCM back into 2006 before imaging. Since there was a hidden expiry on the upgrade disks, perhaps there's one buried into the Images as well?

Bingo, you were absolutely right. I set the time of the BCM receiving the new drive back before I shutdown. Installed new immage drive, and everything came up fine through the browser. I corrected the time and rebooted -all OK. Many thanks for the great tip.

Your KIDDING....be worth testing that in a lab environment.

If that's true, talk about one for the "Wild Guess" Hall of Fame.

Just re-confirmed with another BCM that failed and its still true. As I do have a lab of sorts I'm planning to do some more testing. I know the images worked up until 20 Jan 2008, give or take a few days then that was the end of it.

I just hope Skully reads this.

MagnaRGP, you're the man!

thanks for the tip, your sugestion was correct. i rolled the date back on BCM and reimaged. all is well now, was able to go ahead and uprade to 4.0 without any problems.

Thanks again

I'm using an old bcm1000 to do all my images, did you change the date thru the phone or you went in the bios to change the date there?
Just curious as that bcm has not been up(initialized) with any version for years, i do my images on it and power off when done, at least i dont need to generate a bit keycode every time..

i went in thru hyperterminal to change the date at system confiuration under main menu.

Thanks skully1997, i'll try this on Monday as i went thru that issue were after imaging a 3.6 i was unable to connect to it even if i was able to ping it.

To gberger,

What you make the image on is not important, its the BCM you are putting the image drive into that you must roll back the date. The new drive gets the date from the BCM receiving the drive not the one creating it.

All,

After some further testing, discovered that if you don't roll back the date, let the machine intialize, go in through hyperterminal change the date then do another initialize through hyperterminal, the problem will be corrected. You can then login and correct the date.

Also if you re-initialize the BCM for Global load from Etiquite through configuration wizard, the same problem will happen but the fix is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back