Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Banished words 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimandja

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
US
has a list of banished words such as

BLUE STATES/RED STATES – “A good map has more than two colors.”

ENEMY COMBATANT – “Makes no sense. Do we have friendly combatants? Neutral combatants? Or how about enemy bystanders? If they are your enemy, just say so.”

IMPROVISED EXPLOSIVE DEVICE – As opposed to what used to be referred to as a bomb or mine. “Is this anything like a bomb or is it more (or less) sinister?”

YOU’RE FIRED! – “…and the little hand movement, too!”

‘IZZLE’ – SPEAK - “Like Superbowl excesses, it is too much of too much,”

WARDROBE MALFUNCTION - [ahem]

BLOG – and its variations, including blogger, blogged, blogging, blogosphere. Many who nominated it were unsure of the meaning. Sounds like something your mother would slap you for saying.

ZERO PERCENT APR FINANCING– sending a dollar to do a nickel’s worth of work. “They could just say ‘no interest.’

ALL NEW – referring to television shows… “Of course it’s all new. Why can’t they just say ‘new’?

JOURNEY – “Every single person on every reality show comments on how amazing the ‘journey’ was. Since when does dating a dozen nerds over a six-week span or conniving to win a million dollars over 15 other people qualify as a ‘journey’”?

CARBS – low carbs, high carbs, no carbs, carb-friendly… Meant ‘carburetor’ in a previous life. Needs to be purged from our system.

A svelte word banishment committee, fresh from a low-carb diet, said the process of selecting this year’s words was an amazing journey through hundreds of nominations.

What are your candidates for banishment?

Maybe, but I think it is more likely that MakeItSo is correct. Most people simply don't know the word because it is not widely used.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

>Maybe, but I think it is more likely that MakeItSo is correct. Most people simply don't know the word because it is not widely used.

They still wouldn't use it to define "friendly fire".

What does these links tell you with respect to the word 'fratricide'?

Fratricide at Umm Hajul
Eliminating Fratricide In Ground Combat
Fratricide: A Dilemma Which is Manageable at Best
Fratricide, Technology and Joint Doctrine
Friendly fire: How it can happen

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

>From one of the links: "Fratricide ... the act of killing one's brother or sister ... or, in the case of war, one's own soldiers."

I am waiting for that new definition to be included into a dictionary -- or has it somewhere?

Merriam-Webster for one.

Good Luck
--------------

Here is that definition: "one that murders or kills his or her own brother or sister or an individual (as a countryman) having a relationship like that of a brother or sister".

The implication I get here is that of murder, which "friendly fire" is not (despite the pending lawsuits in Canada, for example). I can see the defense lawyers trying to remove the "murder" clause from "friendly fire".

Anyway, words have a way of evolving beyond their original definitions. I guess this is an example.

I think you are mistreading the phrase 'murders or kills'
It is
one that murders his or her own brother.
or
one that kills his or her own brother.

I think the intent is to say that fratricide may be killing or murder. In other words, fratricide can be intentional (murder) or accidental (killing).

Good Luck
--------------

I can also show you dictionaries that don't equate "murder" with "killing".

Here is one:

When someone is homicidal, we are talking of someone capable of committing murder, not accidental killings. Accidents are committed by "reckless" people.

We also have "fratricidal". I'm sure we are not talking about someone who will accidentally kill his family.

You people getting further and further from "Friendly" aspect of killing...

Friendly fire" does not mean the same thing as fratricide.

Friendly fire is about the shooting... Fratricide is about a possible effect.

Officer: Why didn't you take that hill?
grunt: sir, we were turned around and didn't want to take any friendly fire, sir.

You can't just slip fratricide in there easily.
grunt: sir, we were turned around and concerned we may become the victims of fratricide, sir.

~Thadeus

Inasmuch as allied troops are referred to as "friendlies", friendly fire makes sense.

There are friendlies on the ridge! Don't fire on them!

In a recent story regarding Pat Tillman (former Arizona Cardinals football player and Army Ranger), his fellows report yelling "Friendlies! Friendlies!"... but they were unheard, and were fired upon anyway. They were not in their expected position, and were the victim of "friendy" or "friendlies' fire".

Not so different from the term "Came under enemy fire" is it?

[red]Note:[/red] [gray]The above comments are the opinionated ravings of Mr3Putt. As such, Mr3Putt accepts no responsibility for damages, real or contrived, resulting from acceptance of his opinions as fact.[/gray]

>I am waiting for that new definition to be included into a dictionary

It is interesting to note that your link to Hyperdictionary (which isn't a really a dictionary itself at all) includes WordNet citation, but doesn't actually include all the meanings that WordNet actually throws up.

>don't equate "murder" with "killing".

Erm..saying "murder or killing" (which is what Webster's says as it's first definition) doesn't equate them - well, not unless "I will be alive or dead tomorrow" equates "alive" with "dead"

Well, "murder" is criminal, while "killing" could be accidental or criminal.

murder is murder and killing is killing and there is no other way to look at it, they are both wrong and they have the same meaning in ny opinion

beachbaby:
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

Where kill and murder do both imply the act of ending a life, murder necessarily requires three additional things:[ul][li]that the life ended is a human life[/li][li]that the act is perpetrated by another human being[/li][li]that the ending of the life is an intentional act[/li][/ul]

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

beachbaby,

Let's say Andrew kills Bob because Andrew thinks it "sounds like fun".

Then let's say Chuck's son, Danny, is being held at gunpoint by Earl. Earl threatens to kill young Dan because it "sounds like fun". Given an opportunity, Chuck kills Earl in order to save Danny.

Do you see any difference between Chuck killing Earl and Andrew killing Bob?
___ ___ ___ ___

Hey, can anyone still see the original thread? I know it's back there somewhere.

[tt]-John[/tt]

==> Hey, can anyone still see the original thread? I know it's back there somewhere.
What was the thread about?

Good Luck
--------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back