Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya IP Office 500v2 - Unable to Sync Up the Carrier SIP Trunk Ckt with the IPO Univ PRI Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjm8535

Vendor
Jun 24, 2013
US
I have an Avaya IP Office 500v2 running on R10.1.3. The Telco provider is supposed to be delivering us eight (8) SIP Trunks via a PRI handoff. Per the Telco provider, apparently, the circuit has been delivered by Verizon / XO Comm as "Clear Channel". Within the building's serving Telco House Riser Closet, this circuit was terminated by Verizon / XO Comm on one side of a Verizon provided Krone Termination Block with three (3) pair (we'll call this the Point of Demarc) which the Verizon / XO Comm Tech extended from the Main Telco demarc located in the building's basement. Within the House Riser Closet, on the opposite side of the Krone Termination Block, the Verizon / XO Comm tech used our pre-run Cat. 5e Plenum UTP 4-pr. Cable (used 3 of the 4 pairs: wh/blu, wh/or & wh/gr) to extended the circuit to the customer's IT / Telco Room (distance is approximately 40 feet). In the IT / Telco Room, the Verizon / XO Comm tech terminated the same 3 pairs (wh/blu, wh/or & wh/gr) of the same Cat. 5e cable into 3 separate RJ45 heads (pins 4 & 5 of each), then plugged each into 3 separate ports of a Verizon / XO Comm provided Adtran NetVanta 838 Model 1172838G1 unit. From that Adtran unit, the Telco provider has inter-connected one (1) "Straight-through" Cat. 5e Patch Cord (15-foot factory made) to their Adtran "Total Access 924e" Router. From their Adtran Router, the Telco Service Provider has handed me off a "Straight-through" Cat. 5e Patch Cord (7 foot cord) which I have plugged into Port 9 of a brand new Avaya Phone8 Board equipped with a Universal PRI Daughter Card. All of the basic configuration criteria programmed within the Telco Service Provider's Adtran Router, and all of the basic configuration criteria programmed within the Avaya IP Office 500v2 have been confirmed and re-confirmed (B8ZS / ESF / NI2, etc. Thus far, from the Avaya side, I have swapped out the Avaya Universal PRI Card with another brand new Card. I have swapped out each Cat. 5e Patch Cable between each unit in the equation as identified above. We have even looped back our respective equipment. When a loopback plug is placed into the Adtran, it goes to "green". When a loopback plug is is placed into Port 9 of the Avaya Card, it goes "green".
Question: Should there be a T1 "Crossover" Cable installed between the Telco Carrier's Adtran NetVanta 838 Model 1172838G1 unit and the Telco Service Provider's Adtran Total Access 924e Router versu the current straight through Cat. 5e currently in place. Any other field suggestions to assist with this major dilemma would be greatly appreciated. Please assist. This issue has been dragging on for over 2 weeks now. Thank you for any and all suggestions and assistance you can offer. I can be e-mailed directly wit your suggestions at cmarino@citsolution.com.

Yup, it's a cross over between the Adtran and the IP Office.
Even within the Adtran TA family, some models need a cross over, some don't.
Every competent installer should have this adapter in their pouch to sub in for testing, and either leave in place if the circuit greens up, or to inform them to go make a cross over cable to leave in place

PRI_Crossover_cmm1bg.jpg

Tommy: Thank you. I have already advised them to try handing me off a Crossover Cable to the IP Office. In the interest of time I brought one to the site and already tried myself using a the Crossover cable between the Telco Service Provider's Adtran Total 924e Router and the IP Office. My question is really as to whether a Crossover cable is "also" needed between the Verizon / XO Comm Adtran NetVanta 838 Model 1172838G1 unit (the unit into which the Verizon / XO Comm circuit first terminates) and the Telco Provider's Adtran Total Access 924e Router. What do you think?

RE: The Telco Service Provider is sending their tech out to the site again tomorrow with yet another Adtran Total Access 924e Router (this will be the 3rd one that they will by trying). I think they are wasting time replacing this Router. I told them to bring out one of their own Crossover cables and to try replacing the straight through cable from the Verizon / XO Comm Adtran unit to their own Adtran Access 924e Router. That's pretty much the only thing we have yet to try in this equation. Any additional advice you can provide me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

They brought out 3 copper loops, extended them from MPOE to the equipment room, and hooked into the Adtran NetVanta 838. This bonds the loops together, and give an Ethernet handoff. The Total Access 924e takes the Ethernet handoff (which is a SIP trunk) and converts it into a PRI.

The Ethernet connection from the NetVanta to the Total Access should be auto sensing as to Transmit and Receive, and if you want a cross-over there, remember it needs to be an ETHERNET cross over. Pins 1&2 cross to 3&6

Between the Total Access and the IPO, it is a T1 CROSSOVER, Pins 1&2 cross to 4&5

You should see a solid greet light on 9 when you plug in the cable from the IPO to the Total Access. If you get that, your part is done.

Tommy:
Thank you. I will work with their tech tomorrow to make sure these items that you have provided are properly in place. By the way, I have another tenant on this Avaya IP Office. After hours last week, I took their standard working PRI T1 and plugged it directly into Port 9 of the new PRI Universal Card and Port 9 went "solid green' immediately, so I already know the new PRI Card was good. Also, when I plugged in a loopback tester into Port 9 of that same PRI Card, it went "solid green' immediately as well.
Anyway, thank you very much for your feedback and advice.
Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back