Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya 5410 release 5 but need them to be release 2 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

needavaya

IS-IT--Management
Jul 7, 2010
CA
I plugged in the Avaya phones and they are saying "please wait...." will they work with the ip office 406 v.2 (3.2)

I think I just wasted money on these phones and I need them to work. Can I get a descriptive step by step to get them to work with my version of ip office.

Thank you if you can assist.

put "ALLOW_5410_UPGRADES" in the source code field of the nouser user.

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

honey, i fried the IP Office !!!

Sarcasm, it's only one of the services I offer.

The phones do not say no user. They actually only say please wait. I can not see them show up at all in Voicemail manager.

Our technical support for our phone system is gone away...and left me in a bind...If you can explain in more detail that would be great.

Thanks!

In manager go to users and then go to the user called nouser.
Put the code in the tab sourcecode.

Now this will upgrade the phones that I want to go from 5.0 to what...I wanted to downgrade the phones to release 2 and not upgrade to 5..

Thank you for your help..once again.

Peter did that work on 3.2 i thought it was for new versions.

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

New 5410 come on 5.00
putting in the source code will downgrade them if there is a tftp server.

A 3.2 system will not recognise that No User source entry, you need to make sure that in the system tab the TFTP server address is that of a PC running Manager (needs to be open) and ensure the firewall and AV is off on the PC and also ensure the working directory is in fact the Manager folder (which it is by default). Then the handsets should downgrade, if they don't try them connected to the main unit not expansion modules as this often makes it work :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

You are right.
Forgot about 3.2 part.

You could try Tech Tip 94

Certain Avaya 2400 series and 5400 series Terminals display
“Please Wait” after an Avaya IP Office system is rebooted
Avaya 2420, 2410, 5402, 5410 and 5420 Avaya terminals will try to update their
firmware when the IP Office system is rebooted. If the terminal can not reach the TFTP
server, the terminal will remain in the “Please Wait” state.
In order for the terminal to successfully update its firmware the following needs to be
configured:
1. A TFTP server such as the Avaya TFTP server must need to be opened and the
bin files located in the Incoming file directory. The IP Office Manager application
can be used as a TFTP server. The Manager must be open and the
file/preferences set to 255.255.255.255, with the Binary Directory set to
C:\Program Files\Avaya\IP Office\Manager.
2. The TFTP server field must be populated with the IP Address of the PC running
the TFTP server or manager.
NOTE: The Avaya TFTP program or third party TFTP server should not be open at the
same time as the IP Office manger application. The IP Office Manger will open a TFTP
session when the application is run. This will not allow any TFTP traffic out since both
applications will attempt to use the TFTP IP ports.
The update firmware feature on the 2420, 2410, 5402, 5410, 5420 terminals can be
disabled so that when an IP Office is rebooted the terminals will not try to update their
firmware.
Located in C:\Program Files\Avaya\IP Office\Manager are four files:
fw_off.bat
fw_on.bat
Turn_on.bat
Turn_off.bat
To disable the terminal firmware update feature:
To disable the firmware update feature, edit the “turn_off.bat” file. Replace the <IP
Address> field with the IP address of the IP Office Control Unit. The file “turn_off.bat”
must be run from the Manager directory in order to call the file: fw_off.bat.
The “Turn_off.bat” file will look like the following:
“call fw_off 192.168.42.1” where 192.168.42.1 is the address of the IP Office system.
Once executed you MUST receive a message confirming the Transfer was successful.
You must then run the IP Office Manager application, then select Advanced and Reboot
in order to reboot the Control Unit for this change to take affect.
To enable the terminal firmware update feature:
To enable the firmware update feature, edit the “turn_on.bat” file. Replace the <IP
Address> field with the IP address of the IP Office Control Unit. The file “turn_on.bat”
must be run from the Manager directory in order to call the file: fw_off.bat.
The “Turn_on” file will look like the following:
“call fw_on 192.168.42.1” where 192.168.42.1 is the address of the IPOffice.
Once executed you MUST receive a message confirming the Transfer was successful.
You must then run the IP Office Manager application, then select Advanced and Reboot
in order to reboot the Control Unit for this change to take affect.
Warning:
Remember to enable the firmware update feature when upgrading the IP Office core
software in order for the terminals to successfully load any updated firmware provided
with the newer core release. If the terminal update feature is not enabled, the terminals
will time out and work, but will not have been updated to the latest revision.

so amriddle01, I should have the manager open, and then plug it into the main unit. Once it reboots, will it say anything on the handset. I tried this during the lunch hour and I thought I took down the whole system. The module went red and any users on that phone lost their connection.....

So after the reboot...the phone should still be plugged in and it will say the old release?

It wil say downloading new firmware on the handset and will take around 4 minsto do, Manager does need to be open and also have the correct address as determined/set in the system TFTP server tab, I have seen handsets attempting to downgrade cause a module to red light, it shouldn't and I have not figured out why it does, that's another reason to plug the handset into the main unit on top of the fact it seems to force a downgrade on stubborn systems :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

thanks..this sounds great..I am going to try this at the end of the work day..cause I feel that I just spent money on these worthless phones..and feel that I made a mistake...

Where is the tftp server tab in the manager...or just have manager open? Is this in perferences?

I do not have any open ports in the main top unit, i was going to remove one of the phones of someone that is not here and then use that port to program the phones....make sense?

thanks so much amriddle01, I will try it at the end of the day and let you know tomorrow...

it worked like a charm..thank you once again amriddle01...it is are little secret now...u made me feel like a star..getting the discounts on the phones and now they work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back