Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya 5410/5420 busy signal when dialing hunt group

Status
Not open for further replies.

573dawn

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2007
US
Hi All, I have a new IP400 system, software version 4.0(5), and 4 locations.

We have several hunt groups for various departments, and when a call comes in for a department, the receptionists have been instructed to ring the call to the hunt group.

One location is unable to reach 2 specific hunt groups, they just get a busy signal and the call drops. I am very new to voice telephony and have no idea why they are getting a busy signal for these 2 groups. They DID work when the system was installed, but have started getting busy signals in the last few days. They can call all other hunt groups, and only this location has the issue, other locations can call all hunt groups.

I had removed some IP trunks that were shown on my remote locations that shouldn't have been there and were causing us some other problems, but this stated happening before I made those changes. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dawn

With one of these VPN/VNC/NETMEETING/GOTOMEETING, Kurt could most probably rock your entire issue list in short order with you helping over the phone for hands on items. I have worked remote on many systems, and since the hardware is already in it should be easy. Use your current vendor, or a local communications independent contractor to do cross connects if needed. Otherwise, all you need is Kurt.
In this world of modern communications there is no need for the rural or any other customer to be tied down to a less than satisfactory support person because they are local. These systems can be administered remote for 95% of the work, or more.

aarenot, thanks! We did get this issue resolved today. I have learned that:

hunt group names must be unique and may not contain spaces.

It is a good idea to "advertise" your hunt groups.

Between correcting the first and implementing the second, the problem has vanished at this time. I always like a day or several to pass before deeming something "fixed".

Again my many thanks go out to all, and especially kurthansen, for your excellent advice and patient persistence with a rookie like me.

all the names must be unique !!!
also all extensions must be unique
only the full names may contain a space
and the last very important thing only use a-z and 0-9 and nothing else

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

Quick question: I have changed all the hunt groups to unique names without spaces. HOWEVER, when dialing a hunt group extension, the name still shows WITH spaces. I have looked everywhere I know, directory, users, rechecked the HGs, and I can't see where it might be pulling the displayed name. THe HGs still have the non-spaced unique names, so what am I missing?

you have two places where you put in the names

first is name
second is full name
the first one is used by the system
the second one you can put in what ever you want
i don't know what happens if you only use the first one
so did you put in the name on both places and if yes how

In hunt groups there is only one name field.
Might there be user accounts with the name or ext # the same as some hunt groups?

you are right

573dawn did you reboot the ipo ?
if it doesn't work then delte the group and recreate

I changed the names in "hunt group" category because they all had spaces and some were duplicated. No reboots were requested by the DS units, and it finally works everywhere so I would be EXTREMELY hesitant to change anything more.

I like it when things work, my users like it, and most important, our customers like it.

Unless anyone thinks this is something to worry about, I am going to leave it alone.

Interestingly, I made several changes yesterday that I thought SHOULD have made me reboot, like chaging the compression protocol. None of them did. However, without exception, all of the "save" buttons/menu items are greyed out, so I can't see how the changes WEREN'T saved.

Who ever programmed her system only put in the name for the Users and put in spaces. Normally I don't do this but I can't see anywhere in the documentation that it won't work but I know I have been told not to do put spaces either. They also didn't put anything in for the full name. That is usually where I put the spaces.

Also Dawn I was going to ask you about this but didn't. Why did they put everyones name in the directly list with their extension? Normally I put speed dials that the customer wants in the directory. The index directory should have everyones name and extension in it already. If someone changes extensions or you get a new person you need to change it in two places.

sounds like it is better to default the system and program it from scratch :)

Name: Range = Up to 31 characters
The name to identify this Hunt Group. Only alphanumeric characters with no spaces should be used. Do not start names with a numeric character. This field is case sensitive and must be unique.

Where hunt group reporting is being provided by IP Office CBC or CCC, the name must be 12 characters or less.

For hunt group queue announcements the name must be 12 characters or less.

Voicemail uses the name to match a group and its mailbox. Changing a group's name will route its voicemail calls to a new mailbox.

Dawn,
Above is obtained by hitting the help button while on a hunt groups main page in manager. While I might not expect you to have read this since you paid a BP to install this, one might have hoped that they had. This is a real rookie mistake Dawn, and I would guess this BP is cutting thier teeth with the IPO on your install. This is something that would have been covered in the technicians product authorization courses, so I find it difficult to believe this tech has experience, training, or much concern. If I were you I would check to see if the BP is authorized to install the IPO as well as the technician who installed it. I would hold up on paying for the install until they produce some proof the tech, and BP are product authorized to implement the IPO.

I already had her remove the spaces from the huntgroups. She also had duplicates.

kurthansen, because the installer doesn't know our names, and because they did most of the configuring at their offices, he assigned names that they could correspond to site maps that we had to put together for them, we couyld probably have done a better job of that, but I didn't have any input on that. For example:

The Main Site has 4 sales office upstairs. He named them in the "users" category things like "sales office 1" for extension 410. I then went back and changed the name to "Glenn Labor". Funny, changing the names in the "users" category was THE ONLY reason they gave me the passwords to the system. HAH! If they only knew...

I realize now that he could have cross-referenced, but he didn't.

Where is this "full name" thing everyone is mentioning? I can't seem to find it.

Dawn,
I would not let this BP touch your system again. In fact, if you have remote access set up for them eliminate it. Do you know what stop payment on a check means? I would request your "sold to" number from your vendor, so you can use it when communicating with Avaya or your new vendor. I would notify your receptionist not to allow them past the front desk, and change the passwords on the systems. Make sure you see their IP Office implementation product authorization documents for their tech who works on your system before ever even considering letting them touch it again.

It might be that directoy list that is showing spaces on the display.

aarenot, I would love to, but that is not my decision. There has been alot of acrimony between myself and the vendor, mainly because all they seemed willing or able to do was blame my network for every problem we had.

At this point, my boss, who has had a business relationship with the vendor for over 10 years, has basically told them that they need to send their installer back to school. The vendor replied that he was going to question the field tech extensively when he returns from vacation on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, I have all of you to thank, especially kurthansen. And I expect you'll see me here, trying to get help AND to help, because I'm learning fast :) I think I will change the passwords though, that is a great idea!

jslewis good call the hunt groups are in the directory also. Dawn that is where they are coming from.

Dawn if you look in the users the full name is right before the extension.

kurthansen, ok, I can see where full name is now, I don't think any are filled out. I don't see the active HGs in directory at any site, nor do I see them under users. I'm confused, but it still works, and that is the most important thing!

kurthansen or aarenot, I went into IPO Manager to try and change the administrator pw, and nothing happens when I try to change it, I am logged in as Administrator, and I was trying to change it under the "operator" category, should I be somewhere else? We are concerned that our vendor could go to a remote site and log on and make things worse again.

Thanks, Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back