Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application Error with McShield.exe 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmb11

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2001
US
Hi,

Several users I support are having application errors associated with McShield.exe and McAfee AV becomes disabled. It either happens on start-up on one of the Windows NT PC's and happens when running a proprietary tax program on another. Is there anything that anybody knows that could cause this conflict/error? Please help! thank you.

My mcshield is also giving me a dr.watson error and then the mcshield.exe shuts down... any ideas???

Thanx in advance
Ruan

I installed McAfee on 4 machines, 3 windows 2000 and 1 XP.
3 machines are doing fine, 1 machine gives me the problem mentioned above; mcshield.exe - error - disabled. Even after reinstall the service doesn't seem to work as would normally be expected. After reboot, it always gives the error, and then, sometimes, a few times during working time. All installations use the same Dat - and engine, and the same setup has been used. I've seen some patches above, but apparently even that isn't the solution?

running windows xp, internet explorer 6.0 and get "NT On-Access scanner has encountered a problem" - every time i reboot system.

Checking the XP task manager i find system is running at 100% cpu usage - program cisvc.exe is sucking the wind out of the system - killing this task gets system back to 0% cpu useage.

Is this an XP or Mcaffee problem??
I upgraded Mcaffee to latest version but due to the weird interface of McAffee i can't really tell what version it thinks it is?

Should i get rid of Mcaffee or?

I have the EXACT same problem as bernij. I've had problems with Norton and McAfee. It seems they both take a dump about a week or two after installing them.

mcshield spins and spins on Windows 2k professional when I try to do upload photographs in MSN. Done this 3 times on the trot now...

Quick Question, am I missing something here or is there a real problem.

W2kpro server, with exchange 5.5 sp4 and Groupsheild anti-virus server 4.5.572.128. I go and update today, as I noticed it has failed during the weekend adn turned my dat file to zero. Lucky, I did not have quaranteen all messages turned on. As if the dat file is zero, then all your attachments are classed as having a virus, and thats sucks. Anyway thats not the problem, the problem is here, it goes for a download, then unzips the files, then tells me that it could not stop the AV engine. And at this point it zeros my dat file again. All services have been stopped and started and can stop and start automatic. So call me dumb or what, but does anyone have a clue here?

You need to load hotfix7 which is downloaded from
also you need to stop the groupshield services and manually copy scan.dat names.dat and clean.dat over to the groupshied i386 directory from a updated version of the dats... (manually update the dat files)
and restart the services...

the manual dat copying is what fixes the issue and hotfix7 makes it less likely that it would happen again..

also is good idea to delete any scan.bak clean.bak and names.bak or extra.* files from the 1386 folder

"NT On-Access scanner has encountered a problem" in my Win XP Pro too,
Virusscan 6 (US version) only supports english(US)windows and regional set to US,

in XP I set regional and language options to English (United states), and in the advanced option, language for non-Unicode program, I set to English(US) too,
the problem resolved.

infact this error only occur when system scan set to scan "all files" in English Win XP.

Bernij,

Download the 6.02 patch from the McAfee retail site ( BTW, it's not recommended to set On-Access scanning to "All Files". Unnecessarily slows down your system. Recommend "Default Files" (i think).

To all,

The best way to get answers is to call or email the vendor and GIVE THEM THE FULL DETAILS OF THE PROBLEM. It will not help you or them if you complain on this board. Even though there are NAI people watching this board, it's still best to log an official report to them. You can do it via these links:

(corporate versions)
(home user version)
(retail from McAfee.COM)

Hope this helps.

AVChap

AVChap

This is really getting on my (*)(*)'s.
VShield Disables itself, i reenable it and it shuts down after running some app or some time passes.

We're running NT4 SP6a accross the board.. and V4.5.0, Scan Engine 4.0.50. It has only happened majorly (nrly all wstations) after the last dat update (4193).
Do i need to update the engine?

Ta

Yep you should update the engine to 4160.

Also you should try loading the latest which is 4.5.1 SP1

Just to offer my input, I have used Mcafee, TVD & AVD over the last 4 years and I update the DAT every week and make sure the engine is always the latest available and have not had any problem with the virus scanning, occasionally groupshield doesn't update properly but a reboot solves the problem (locked files usually). We use NT4.0 SRV & W\S Win 2k SRV & Pro and Win98.
I am sure that while every effort is made at NAI in their testing, Every combination of OS, DAT and Scan Engine would be impractical to do. So if the people who have problems make sure they use the latest or suggested configuration maybe their problems would reduce in frequency.

Chris.

Yeah, when you configure VShield to scan all files and have compressed files checked as well :)

Seriously, what platform, version, dat & engine are you using?

AVChap

yep both the previous questions what version of virusscan and scan engine. js error; 67 on line; 36 of signature.class

Beg to disagree but problem not solved, you just swept it under the rug.

The best way to isolate problems in VS are:

1. Install the latest SP
2. Install the latest engine
3. Install the latest DAT files
4. Make sure you don't have "All Files" selected in VShield
5. If all else fails, ask the vendor.

I'm sorry but complaining about it will not help. I used to do that but it didn't solve my problems. Only by talking to them did I get my issues resolved.

Hope this helps.

AVChap

I uninstalled MSIE6.0 and installed MSIE5.5SP2 and now have no errors with McAfee.

For what its worth...

just so you know 4.5.1SP1 (SERVICE PACK ONE) is required for compatibility with IE6.... js error; 67 on line; 36 of signature.class

Hi all,
can anyone just comfirm that these "virus scan 4.5.1 sp1" errors which occur on shutdown of laptop or desktop are due to the system scan trying to scan the floppy drive?

VsStat.exe - DLL initialisation failed
WebScan.exe - DLL initialisation failed
vshwin32.exe - DLL initialisation failed

Thanks
Iain

People,

Can we close this thread? Any other questions closely relating to this should be put in a new thread. It's getting hard to relate the thread title to the last post.

AVChap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back