Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application Error with McShield.exe 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmb11

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2001
US
Hi,

Several users I support are having application errors associated with McShield.exe and McAfee AV becomes disabled. It either happens on start-up on one of the Windows NT PC's and happens when running a proprietary tax program on another. Is there anything that anybody knows that could cause this conflict/error? Please help! thank you.

System Specification:
Windows 2000 SP1/SP2
Virus scan 4.5
Scan engine 4.05

I recently had scan32.exe/Mcshield.exe errors generated by Windows when our PC executed scheduled scans.The scan engine basically could not scan all files. I found out from this forum that we had been using an old engine all along. I downloaded and have since installed the 4140intel.exe update and all those issues have gone away

I am running 4.5.1, the current DAT an engine.
During startup Vscan disables itself.

Similar to the above problems. This is an NT and SP6 level machine.

PLease assist if possible
Thanks In Advance
paul

Just a reminder to all:

Latest engine: 4.1.40
Last engine supported: 4.0.70
Next engine: 4.1.50

Note: once 4.1.50 come out, the last engine to be supported is going to be 4.1.20. This is on their update page.

If you encounter the problems, check the engine version. The problem is related to the DAT files being to big for the engine to handle.

Cheers,

AVChap

Hey guys..i seriously need some help here.Would appreciate if anyone has any resolutions. I've got the Mcaffee 4.5.1 and sdat file 4163 installed,but..it slows down the the performance of the pc EXTREMELY.I've tried installing the software in a PIII and PII machines and it's still the same. Please help.

Well, with my computer (win98SE) I had two computer techs over for 2 nights and the problem identified was McAfee. I note on their page something about:
"Customers using Windows 2000 and VirusScan 5.1x or higher are advised not to upgrade Internet Explorer 6.0 because of an incompatibility with the Download Scan/Internet Filter which results in a WebscanX error at startup. If you are experiencing this issue, you can disable Download Scan/Internet Filter as a workaround and set system scan to scan all files or downgrade to Internet Explorer 5.x.This issue only occurs with people running Windows 2000 professional, VirusScan 5.10 – 5.21, and Internet Explorer 6.0. This is NOT an issue in VirusScan 6.0." I have Explorer 6. My computer was incredibly slow, mouse problems, but the slowness would change (probably due to shield in background), would not do the detailed scan, would get a runtime error trying to download, etc. Well, $250 later I now have Norton virus Scan 2001, 256 RAM and no (cross my fingers) computer problems. I uninstalled McAfee. McAfee didn't answer my email either. They should have put out an advisory and didn't so it cost me alot of money.

Good day all....

I read the threads that were on this and looked into my problem a little further. I was running VScan 5 with engine 4140 and DAT file 4164. My system was causing the same problems as most of the people here seem to be experiencing. MCSHEILD would cause an error and disable itslef.

I delved into the system and application logs and found that there were two error events in the log tat corresponded to one another. The MCSHEILD error just showed itself as an error that shut down the software. the next one which was much deeper in the log was a peice of software that stated that MCSHEILD had taken longer than 35000 ms to scan the file and was terminated. This is what caused the software to shut down.

I uninstalled the software...Rebooted the system....and so far no further problems have shown up....

Hope this helps some one else...

I am having this same problem. Here is my system info...

Windows NT 4.0 Server w/ SP6a
McAfee Netshield 4.5 w/ SP1
DAT version 4164
Engine version 4.5.1

I have also bumped up the Timeout keys as recommended by NAI but I am still getting about 7 crashes of MCSHIELD.EXE a day and then I have to re-enable the shield in the task tray. This is causing huge problems because Nimda keeps getting on the server while the shield is disabled.

Please Help!!!

Thanks,
Jeremy Parsons
jparsons@buckeye-express.com

Hi All,

I have the same problem as Jeremy, with virtually the same setup. All patched up to the latest versions, still no joy!

I really am at a loss with this one. I use to rate macafee software, needless to say, I am not impressed.

Regards,

Sean Chin

I'm running McAfee viruscan 5:21 and it works fine except the email scan which just doesn't operate no matter what I do. My OS is Windows ME but that shouldn't mess things up. Is there something I need to check? McAfee.com is always slow in coming forward and to ask them for help is like asking IRS for a loan. Anyway, if anyone out there can help me I'll be grateful.

Thanks.

How do I know what engine file I have and accordingly what update I should do to fix the problem.

Is the engine file the one that says virus definitions??

thanks in advance.

This error is occuring constantly!! If I owned the laptop I would uninstall this software without hesitation! Network Associates needs to build in some kind of error reporting function and be proactive about solving these problems if they want to redeem this applications reputation. Of course I could say the same thing about Microsoft regarding Windows NT, but I think they are at least trying. IMHO

System Specification:
Windows NT: 4.00.1381
Virus scan DAT: 4.0.4173
Scan engine: 4.0.50

McShield : NT On-Access Scanner service.
McShield.exe version: 4.5

Error:
Exception: access violation (0xc0000005), Address: 0x00e342a1

App: (unknown)
Pid: 229 (in the most recent occurence)
Dr. Watson indicated this App was: McShield.exe (itself)

I thought the "access violation" was supposed to indicate a 'failure' or 'conflict' of some type (??).

Hello,
I am having the same problem on my Win2k system. I believe that the problem started after I upgraded my mcafee to 4.1.40.
We all need to find out from Mcafee.

I was having this same problem. Using McAfee 4.5. Loaded SP1 and still would happen just on the first initial logon. The PC was running NT 4 workstation. I checked under services and the Plug and Play was disabled. Changed it to manual start up instead of disabled and haven't had the error happen again yet. Maybe this would help other? Three servers for the admins under the influence of rye,
Seven routers for the network techs in their halls of stone,
Nine workstations for mortal users doomed to die,
One NT box from the dark lord on his throne
in the land of Redmond where the shadows lie,
One box to run them all,
One box to blind them,
One box to control them all
and i

Hello, this is the error that a friend of mine receives while is working in 2k. Shortly after logon, and so on... "mcshield.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. you will need to restart the program. an error log is being created." Thanks, Luís Libório

Has anyone had problems with the latest VirusScan download dated 11/30/01 on Windows 2000? It's locking my user workstations at bootup, and the only way to get them up is to disable the MyAgent.exe service. McAfee hasn't been able to determine how to fix it yet.

I was getting Dr Watson pop up for about 10% of our offices NT4 workstations immediately after I installed the latest virus definitions for Virus Scan NT version 4.0.3. The error was caused by mcshield.exe and the shield would be disabled. After some experimentation I found that on these troublesome workstations, if I re-installed Virus Scan, then installed older virus definitions first, starting with 4151xdat.exe, then 4162, then 4168 and finally 4172xdat.exe the problem did not occur.
Hope this helps someone else!

I am having the same problems. Here is the message from the event log.
Event ID: 5051
Source McLogEvent

A thread in process C:\Program Files\Network Associates\NetShield 2000\Mcshield.exe took longer than 35000 ms to complete a request.
The process will be terminated. Thread id : 243 (0xf3)
Thread address : 0x77f6781f
Thread message :

Build Jun 8 2000 11:56:49 / 7.30
Object being scanned = \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\VOL1\PWS\IIS4_05.CAB ( @ 10010 (24002,10006,10010,24003))

The suggestion was to patch the mcaffee software. We did and it is still crashing.

I am now recommending the suite from Trend It works better, is easier to manage and gets the dat files out quick then mcaffee and Norton.

Ralph
rdevries@look.ca

Help!
Big corp has about 700 out of 2000 Windows NT 4 PC's now upgraded from 4.03 to 4.5.1. About 40-50 workstations are now blue screening every few days. They all die on 1 of 2 errors
1} "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"
2} "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT"

We have tried everything, scandisk, SP update, remove and reinstall Mcafee software... The blue screens happen mainly at night. We are running EPO and SMS on all the desktops.
HAS ANYONE SEE THESE ERRORS BEFORE ?

I thought I was alone in my experiences. Now I know I am not going crazy and I haven't done something wrong.

I do hope this article helps people out and saves some hard earned cash.

For years (since version 1.0) I have been a solid McAfee supporter. Their product was always second to none. Well, perhaps they read the story about the rabbit and the hare!

Here is my general experience with the last 3 major versions of McAfee.

I am running Win 98SE, Win NT4.0 SP6a and Win 95 rev c.

McAfee versions 4 and 5 are ok with engines up to 4140. My current registered version is v5.21. After engine 4140, engines 4150 and 4160 have major delay problems. These are quite noticible when cruising the web. The page always takes about 20 seconds to finish loading the last 1 or 2%, the mouse cursor will not move and nothing seems to be running (clock, animated icon etc). Disabling the System Scan (quick enable option) when I regain control, seems to be one solution.

But why would I have a virus scanner that I have to disable?

I have removed and reinstalled v5.21 with the old 4140 engine and then updated the dats to v4178. No more problems exist except that EMail scan does not work even when it appears to be enabled. This problem does not exist on v4 BTW.

This is only my opinion but I think the current engine problems are a ploy to get people to buy version 6 for some reason. (Why else would they be supporting 2 other versions and be bringing out a new one?)

Don't do it! Save your money. Version 6 seems to have a new breed of problem.

I tried McAfee v6 demo right off their site on the off chance that it might be better. No such luck. Either the demo is crippled or it does not work well. There seems to be no means to control features like the previous versions.
(i.e. quick enable, control panel applet etc)

YES, I FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS TO A "T". I EVEN REMOVED AND REINSTALLED IT BUT IT DOES NOT WORK THE WAY THE DOCUMENTATION SAYS IT IS SUPPOSED TO. YES, I RTFM.

For example, the control panel applet does not look or behave like the one in the documentation. I believe that Network Associates is about to announce something big (dunno what but like possibly they are being bought out by another larger company) and they want to keep this hushed so the deal goes thru.

Save yourself a headache. Don't buy version 6 and don't upgrade your engine beyond 4140. If sales fall off markedly, they will have no choice but to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back