Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

active messagebox does not display

Status
Not open for further replies.

kprogrammer

Programmer
Feb 28, 2003
I am working in VFP8 and am having a problem where the messagebox will not display, even though it is activated. The form's allwaysontop property=.F., showindow=0 (in screen), windowtype=0 (modeless). If I move of off the window and click on the toolbar or activate the debugger/trace window before the program reaches the messagbox call, then the messagebox displays properly. I know the messagebox is active, I have tested for this and the program stops until the enter key is hit. I have tried calling the deactivate and activate methods, but this doesn't work. The wait window is also affected by this problem.

Does anyone any idea what is going on here?

Kirk

Is the messagebox being displayed behind the application or active window? If so you might try looking at alwaysonbottom property.

boyd.gif

SweetPotato Software Website
My Blog

I should have include this in my original message, but the alwaysonbottom property of the form is set to .F. -

This is occuring in an "inherited" system, and will carry over into other called forms. All forms are in fact classes.
Once, you click off of one form, the problem goes away on all of the subsequently activated forms. Very strange.

Kirk

It is a fox 2.6 DOS application that was converted. All classes were written in VFP8 from scratch.

Kirk

I was able to track down where the messagebox's erratic behavior begins in our application. However it makes no sense to me. It is right after a setting in out class load method. We have private data sesions so the following settings are applied in our base class:
SET REFRESH TO 0,0
SET REPROCESS TO 1
SET SAFETY OFF
SET LOCK OFF
SET MULTILOCKS ON
SET DELETED ON
SET NEAR ON
SET EXACT OFF
SET CENTURY ON
SET ESCAPE OFF
SET EXCLUSIVE OFF
Set Talk Off
Set Notify Off
Set Confirm Off
If I eliminate the "Set century on" setting command, the messageboxes display properly! However, this setting is required for each private data session. Has anyone else ever seen this behavior?

Kirk

Kirk,

So, you are saying that the following does not work:

SET CENTURY ON
MESSAGEB0X("Hello World")

but the following does:

SET CENTURY OFF
MESSAGEBOX("Hello World")

If that's the case, then it is very weird. I have never seen anything like this before. Are you sure there is not some other setting that is causing this behaviour?

Mike

My sites:
Visual FoxPro (www.ml-consult.demon.co.uk)
Crystal Reports (www.ml-crystal.com)

Once the "set century on" command is issued, the message box no longer displays properly. A subsequent "set century off" command does not correct the problem. I agree that it is very weird. I have to think that there is something else somewhere that is causing this because it makes no sense to me. I have commented out each setting individually, and it is only when the "set century on" is issued that the erratic behavior begins.

I am still working on this because I need to correct it. I can not release the system to the users until I correct the problem. I may not be that smart, but I am persistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back