Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9508 phones stop responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrtnastrx

Technical User
Oct 31, 2002
US
Does anyone else have the issue of 9508 phones "freezing" and requiring the phone to be unplugged and plugged back in to work again? We have had to RMA 6 phones already for one of our customers as after they upgrade the phones are bricked. All of the bricked phones have BM12's attached. Two more today totalling 6. IP500V2 8.0.42

APSS - ACIS - ACSS

Hi there

I am facing the same problems. It's been a while. I repeatedly tell my vendor this and get no help from them. Has anyone found a fix for these freezing phones? I get at least one phone freezing on me a day. It's a quick fix to just unplug and replug it back in. But I just don't think we should have to do that. Especially at the prices my vendor charged us!

Thanks all.

We have a case open with our distri.
There is nothing else you can do then keep nagging at your business partner.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

OK thank you. I will keep nagging them then. I tell you Windstream/Paetec/Xeta. A horrible combination for us. Any where in these forums I can rant about them? lols

I use a 9508 (have done for quite a while now) and originally it suffered from this issue. Since upgrading to 8.x I havent had the issue with the handset since.

Self Test information is

Rel 0.38 2/29/12
Boot Loader v0.15
Zarlinnk Image - 009

In case this helps anyone.

I do know that the issues seemed to stop after new firmware was picked up by the phone but I cannot remember on which version of 8 this was.

| ACSS SME |

Are you perhaps on 8.0.42 or higher Pepp77?

BAZINGA!

TLP - I am yes - and it might well have been the 8.0x beta it stopped doing it on.

| ACSS SME |

Great. If anyone else can confirm the 8.0 firmware will fix this problem I can try to push my vendor into upgrading my system. Unless it brings a host of other problems worst than this.

I must say that all our 8.0 system do not complain about phones getting stuck.

BAZINGA!

Then i mean the recent installs on 8.0.42
Older versions do complain.

BAZINGA!

OK, thanks again. I'll talk to my vendor and have them schedule firmware updates to 8.0.42, and hope for the best.

thank you
JH

While preparing for a new install I had one 9508 being stick after trying to dial a short code.
I could not replicate again.

BAZINGA!

I'm on 8.0.42 and have 2 BM12s on a 9508 and have had to reboot the phone several times. The buttons on the 12's keep disappearing and appearance keys light up bu without names.

Avaya have confirmed this is a know issue
New firmware is on "Controlled Introduction" & should be released in approx 3 weeks.

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Hi IPGuru,

Can you share oyur information with me?
We have a case open for several customers and Avaya has asked our distri to swap the phones because theu think it is a hardware issue.

BAZINGA!

All I have is an email that was forwarded to me from scansource
without naming any more names:-
Development has produced binary fix (R43) for the phone freeze/phone lockup issue.

Currently this binary is being rolled out to selected customers as a Controlled Introduction plan (CI) and will be monitored for 3 weeks.

At the conclusion of a successful 3 week CI, the binary patch fix will be release to all customers experiencing either the "PHONE FREEZE/LOCK UP" or the "PLEASE WAIT" issue.

ETA is 3 weeks from now for the fix to be provided.
A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Hi IPGuru,

That is the info i need :)
Thanks.

BAZINGA!

We are getting this loaded onto a site next week. once i know if it fixes it i will post back.

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

I upgraded to 8.0(44) in my office and the problem seems to have stopped (was on 7.0(27)prior to upgrade and my phone froze every two or three days.) Has anyone else had a similar result? I think the phones are more modern looking than the 1416's plus they don't need papers but I don't want to sell them if they are still freezing like mine did. Unfortunately I only have 2 of them on my system so its not much of a sample.

I upgraded to 8.0(44) in my office and the problem seems to have stopped (was on 7.0(27) prior to upgrade and my phone froze every two or three days.) Has anyone else had a similar result? I think the phones are more modern looking than the 1416's plus they don't need papers but I don't want to sell them if they are still freezing like mine did. Unfortunately I only have 2 of them on my system so its not much of a sample.

Hello all,

I have a site with 102 - 9508's using 8.1(43) on an IP500V2. We have two phones freeze about every week which require two reboots to get them fixed to come back up.

Has everyone elses problems gone away since upgrading to 8.0(44) or higher or is anyone still experiencing issues?

Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back