Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5410s becoming non-functional

Status
Not open for further replies.

gknight1

Programmer
Jul 27, 2006
US
i have a 406v2 on 4.0(7) with about 15 digital phones and 15 ip phones. first i will say i dont think the problem is in the sorftware, because the same thing was happening on 3.2(57). i was hoping the upgrade would fix this issue i was having, but no luck. there is also no rhyme or reason on the specific port, it seem to be happening randomly and on both the 406 and the DS module.

once or twice a week most of the digital phones will become non-functional. by non-functional i mean, the buttons appear to be there, but you get no response from pressing any button or number on the phone. also, the name and extension number do not appear beneath the line. i know that one time a phone displayed
5410 R5 3-7-07....Please Wait. Usually if you unplug and plug the phone back in it fixes the problem, but yesterday i had to reboot the system.

please wait means that it is waithing for software
it will get if wrom a tftp server
if you have a pc with manager on it then leave it running on that pc and see what happens then

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

but the phones upgraded when the system was upgraded. they shouldnt need manager open everytime something happens. i can try it, but it might be a couple of days before it happens, besides, that has only occured once or twice, most of the time it is the other way around(the phone has buttons but non-functional)

digital phone just do that sometimes
you also can use the batch file in the manager directory to turn it off

the files are called Turn_off to turn it off :) and Turn_on to turn it back on

when you turned it off the digital phones won't request the files anymore

so all i have to do is double click the .bat file and the phones wont look for firmware everytime.

this is what you need to do:

To disable the terminal firmware update feature:
To disable the firmware update feature, edit the “turn_off.bat” file. Replace the <IP Address> field with the IP address of the IP Office Control Unit. The file “turn_off.bat” must be run from the Manager directory in order to call the file: fw_off.bat.

The “Turn_off.bat” file will look like the following:

“call fw_off 192.168.42.1” where 192.168.42.1 is the address of the IP Office system.

Once executed you MUST receive a message confirming the Transfer was successful. You must then run the IP Office Manager application, then select Advanced and Reboot in order to reboot the Control Unit for this change to take affect.

To enable the terminal firmware update feature:
To enable the firmware update feature, edit the “turn_on.bat” file. Replace the <IP Address> field with the IP address of the IP Office Control Unit. The file “turn_on.bat” must be run from the Manager directory in order to call the file: fw_off.bat.

The “Turn_on” file will look like the following:

“call fw_on 192.168.42.1” where 192.168.42.1 is the address of the IPOffice.

Once executed you MUST receive a message confirming the Transfer was successful. You must then run the IP Office Manager application, then select Advanced and Reboot in order to reboot the Control Unit for this change to take affect.

Are you using the correct patch leads between systems.
Is this a DS V2? If so are you running the correct PSU for the site. Is the system earthed correctly?

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACA - IP Telephony
ACS - IP Office Implement (Aug 30th)

offtopic but theprovider it is the 31august now
yesterday you should be an ACS ???
did you pass it ?

It got moved tlpeter. So I need to re-edit to the 11th October. Plus I'm doing my CCNA so its all a bit of brain work for me at the moment.

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACA - IP Telephony
ACS - IP Office Implement (Aug 30th)

gknight1: I have been fighting this same problem for at least three weeks(the problem started after we converted 15 IP extension to Digital 5410 phones). Usually the phones just go to "please wait". Now ae are down to about 5 5410's doing it. We are runiing 3.069 and I was hoping to upgrade to 3.2 to resolve this problem Have you had any luck?

NWchipper

I've had the same issue with 5410 phones going "to sleep" - and have blamed it on poorly terminated modular plugs. As we find them, we reterminate and have had very few repeats. It has been the same deal - call appearance buttons are there, but no name or extension. The light on DS module is lit. Unplug for ten seconds and reconnect, and all is good. Ours is defintely not a "waiting for software" issue.
Mike

I am having the same issue at 2 sites, one is a 406 V2 and one is a 412. At the 412 site, it is pretty much every time a config is merged, random phones drop out and "go to sleep". Frutrating to me, not to mention the customer.

What software version is everyone running. We are at 3.069 with fw 5.0. For us I beleive the whole 5410 problem with phones going " to sleep" or "Please wait" started with improperly changing extension numbers and merging versus immediate rebooting the system. Documentation specifically states this requires a reboot. I can't prove this but this is when this extremely annoying problem occured. We are still now down to 5 out of ~70 5410 tens doing it (and always the same group).

Has anyone logged an incident with Avaya?

I thought R5 phone firmware was only for use with 3.2(57)/4.0(7)

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

I tried the turn_off.bat resolution and the phones still go to "please wait"?

We're having the trouble and we are at 4.0.7 on a 412. I've found that if you unplug for just a brief moment, you may get the "please wait". If unplug for ten seconds, mine have restarted properly every time. A contact at tier3 said it may be a power issue - but I've had it happen on a DS30 with only four phones connected. It seems to happen when the phone is idle for long periods of time - like overnight. Again, we initially blamed it on "less than pristine" modular plug crimps - but now I'm not so sure...

Mike

I have found DS phones "just lock up" sometimes when unplugged and a system reset is required.

IP500 internal DS 8's. It also used to happed on our old 406v2 with DS16.

It must be a feature and not a fault!!!!!!

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Our issue was more that after a reboot, some phones (I know of 2 that do it every time) would come up without time/date or name/extension and have no dial tone. Button programming would display, however. In System Status, these extensions show up as "Unplugged".
I had one customer we set up with 4.0.7 that did this from the start, another we set up with 4.0.5 and it started after upgrading to 4.0.7. I was thinking maybe an issue with 4.0.7 firmware on DS modules, but if it's happening on 3.2.57, then maybe the phone firmware could be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back