Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5410s becoming non-functional

Status
Not open for further replies.

gknight1

Programmer
Jul 27, 2006
US
i have a 406v2 on 4.0(7) with about 15 digital phones and 15 ip phones. first i will say i dont think the problem is in the sorftware, because the same thing was happening on 3.2(57). i was hoping the upgrade would fix this issue i was having, but no luck. there is also no rhyme or reason on the specific port, it seem to be happening randomly and on both the 406 and the DS module.

once or twice a week most of the digital phones will become non-functional. by non-functional i mean, the buttons appear to be there, but you get no response from pressing any button or number on the phone. also, the name and extension number do not appear beneath the line. i know that one time a phone displayed
5410 R5 3-7-07....Please Wait. Usually if you unplug and plug the phone back in it fixes the problem, but yesterday i had to reboot the system.

tanderson had the same issue with 4.0.7 and ds phones 5410.
Would have to unplug the phone for 1 minute and plug it in again OR do a power up off all DS modules and let the lights go solid. then bring up the CCU unit.

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACA - IP Telephony
ACS - IP Office Implement (Aug 30th)

I also have this issues at one client site. Has anyone found a solution or workaround?

at random phones loose their extension and have a 'strange' dial tone...

Unplug, waiting 10 secs, replug is a workaround -> but not a good one :)

Thanks

I hadn't had this issue for a couple of weeks - then did my first "soft reboot" in a couple of weeks (have done several "power cycle" reboots and many merges). The trouble re-appeared - about 10 phones were "asleep" and required unplug/replug. All 5410 phones (which make up about 40% of our total DS phone population). Anyone else still wrestling with this one and have clues to share.
Mike

Still having this issue. I've got a ticket open for this STILL but am pressing for a resolution. I still think it has something to do with firmware v 5.0 for the 5410s but will let you know once something comes up.

I didn't read all the posts, but have you tried to to take that config and put it on a test unit and see if you have the same problem? I have seen this from time to time on 4.0 where a phone or two will freeze for no reason. I think it may be the way the phones come up on a reboot as I have learned that reboot isn't the same as powering off all units and turning back on. I actually think its a static discharge thing. They get zapped and don't work. cycle the power and they work again.

It's not V5 firmware. 54xx's have always done this every now and again.

It may have got a little worse but it's always happened.

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

When you upgraded your DS30 modules for version 4. Did you use the 3.2 999 builder then go to 4 or did you go straight to version 4?

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACA - IP Telephony
ACS - IP Office Implement (Aug 30th)

Actually, there is a CQ for this issue - supposed to be fixed in Nov 4.1.
Mike

I have 2 sites this is happening with.

Fixed in 4.1? I'm not exactly pumped to have to upgrade each site to 4.1 this is happening with. Hopefully they incorporate with 4.0 sometime.

I just received a firmware patch for the DS Modules for this. I applied it today, we'll see how it goes. I was distressed yesterday about the 4.1 statement as well, but about an hour later the patch was sent to me - so the fix is going to be available without the need to go to 4.1. No worries.

I have experienced sleepy phones on 3.2.xx and 4.0.7 and .10. I replaced the power supplies on all of the DS30 units approx. 5 weeks ago and the problem seems to be gone. Avaya replaced them under warranty. We requested part number 700357387. It seemed like a long shot to me at the time, but so far, so good

Just following up on this issue - Tier III tells me that there is no DS Module firmware update for this issue. Baumann1 - is the power supply replacement still working as a fix? We ONLY seem to experience issue after a soft reboot. Also noticing that if system doesn't get a hard reboot every so often (every week or so), reports of poor voice quality and other anomolies goes up... System is on GREAT power (double conversion UPS) with good ground.
Mike

I have been running the DS module patches for 2 weeks, 6.0(79605) Since applying them, I have not received any further reports of the issue.

Implemente two 60+ side,s with 4.0(10) and tested the problem and after a soft reboot some phone,s will not come up again. (Only to remove cable and wait for 10s)

This is really again a major issue.

Greets Peter

EXACT same scenario I was having big70. The customer was ready to throw everything out in the street. The patch I mentioned above seems to have fixed the issue so far, try asking for it by name. It exists, I wouldn't lie about such things.

This seems to be appropriate.

From the Avaya caveats site:

CQ54647

Intermittently 5410 terminals may not initialise correctly after warm reboot.

Found in 4.0.7

Fix target: PL_BETA2_NOV07_4.1

So, tier III says "well, there isn't a firmware fix, but there IS a software fix..." I guess I forgot to say "Mother, may I"...
Mike

Interesting. Guess I need to learn the difference between software and firmware. I guess the instruction set that the Digital Station modules use is not firmware? I am going to force myself not to ponder that further.

The important thing is, did they hook you up with it at least?

mforrence- Sorry I haven't replied, but I've been out fixing these things- you know how it is- anyway I in response to your post on the 16th, my scenario was exactly the same as yours. Warm reboot, top of the line UPS/data center, weekly reboot needed, etc. and yes, so far the power supply replacement is holding, although it sounds like the software fix also does the trick.

There is a PB for 4.0(7) to address this 90% of the time it works. Some sites however require a upgrade to 4.1(10) and different PB based on 4.0(10). Depends on the build of the 5410 handset installed being either a 5410D01A-2001 or 5410D01B-2001
The PB for 4.0(10)is based on the fix above which is included in the Q4 4.0 release which just went into FT.

ipo.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back