Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yearly attendance formula

Status
Not open for further replies.

O2BNSV

Technical User
Jun 29, 2006
US
Using v2008, can anyone recommend a formula to be placed in a cross-tab where I could calculate new, unique event participants to the same event on a year to year basis. My goal is to have a simple count of new participants as the output.

Create a SQL expression {%minyr}:

(
select min(`EventDate`)
from Table A
where A.`ParticipantID` = `Table`.`ParticipantID`
)

Add this as your column field in the crosstab->group options->print on change of year. Then use a distinctcount of {table.participantId} as your summary field.

-LB

So this is the SQL expression I've created based on your input:

(
select min("START_DATE")
from table A
where A."participantID" = "Participants"."ID"
)

When I check the formula, I get the following error:

Error in compiling SQL Expression:
Database Connector Error: '42000:[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'table'. [Database Vendor Code: 156]

Any thoughts?

I think I figured out why this error might be received. Event Start date and Participant ID live in 2 different tables. I am unfamiliar with SQL. What changes need to be made and can anyone recommend a good book on SQL basics?

You need to substitute your table name and your actual field name for the participant ID (the fields should match on both sides of the "=", as in:

(
select min("START_DATE")
from "Participants" A
where A."participantID" = "Participants"."participantID"
)

-LB

OK. I got the logical side of the equation to work and can save with no errors. However, again I am limited since the event start date and participant ID are in separate tables. I am guessing I need to include this in the select formula. Knowing basically nothing about SQL commands, would it be something like the following:

(
select
MIN(START_DATE)
from "Special_Event"

"ID"
from "Participants" Left Outer Join "Special_Event" On
"Participants"."EventID"="Special_Event"."ID" A

where a."ID"="Participants"."ID"

Just a stab. Please let me know what corrections need to be made. Thanks.

Try this in field explorer->SQL expression->new (not a command):

(
select MIN("START_DATE")
from "Special_Event" A, "Participants" B
where A."ID" = B."EventID" and
B."ID" = "Participants"."ID"
)

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor