Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Startup 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bgun

Technical User
Oct 22, 2004
US
Just installed XP Pro and everything works great except when starting the pc, it auto starts in the admin account
and when I log off it shows the users and requires a password to use one of the accounts. How can I keep the admin account from auto logon on startup.

It has one, if i log off the screen comes up with admin and user accounts, each one requires a password to logon, only when you start the pc it auto logs into the admin account.

Start, Run, control userpasswords2
Place a check in the top box "Users must enter user name and password to use this computer."

Ok, that now requires a password, however now if I log off of user1 the administrator account is not there. if I swithch user it only shows users not the administrator.

If I use the windows logon window I can enter administrator and password to get in, if I log off I can log in as any user with password. But if I use the XP window showing all accounts and click the one to log onto the administrators acount is not there, nor can I log into it. Guess I'll just have to use the windows logon screen.
Thanks!!

Here are some "Welcome Screen" MSKB articles.

281992 - Original Administrator Account Does Not Appear During Friendly Logon Method

327918 - The Administrator Account Appears on the Welcome Logon Screen

300433 - The "Administrator Logon" Dialog Box May Be Hidden Under the Welcome Screen or "The System Could Not Log You on" Message May Be Displayed

282866 - How to automatically log on to a user account in Windows XP

303594 - Joining Computer to Domain Causes "Friendly" User Interface to be Replaced by Classic View

297221 - A User Account Does Not Appear in the User Accounts Tool (or Welcome Screen)

305281 - The "Welcome" Logon Screen Does Not Appear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back