Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro running Apache.... # of concurrent connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digger69

Technical User
Jan 13, 2003
AU
Does anybody know how many concurrent connections that are allowed on Apache running on XP professional...

btw... I have just installed RHL 9 but are not confident enough with it to use it as my server [ponder]

Until Apache runs out of threads and/or processes to process your request, or it is unable to allocate the new memory for them.

//Daniel

So Apache IS able to get around the 10 concurrent conection limit XP has for file and print sharing?

My system has 1gb ram and 512/128 DSL conection...

Thank you very much for your reply :)

Thanks to bcastner... I have worked out Apache can handle as many concerrent connections as you system and line can handle.... in other words, Apache will not be the bottle neck when it comes to running a web server...

Thought I'd post an anwser I got elsewhere in case it benefits some one else.

danielhozac, just confirming what you already told me [thumbsup]

Cheers... Al

Wullie have you got a link to that info... you are the first source out of about 25 that has said that. My understanding is that the limits for concurrent connection to file and print sharing and IIS 5.1 (XP) are hard coded into Windows by MS, as nobody at MS got their mits on Apache it is free of those limitations...

Please correct me if I am wrong...

An advantage of using a 3rd party software package (apache for example)is that you will not be limited by the 10 concurrent connection restriction built into PWS and IIS if you are not using the Server Editions of Windows.

For more information go to this site :D

Yes, Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional only have a 10-concurrent *incoming* user limit (AFAIK, it is an OS restriction, not an application restriction). They can make unlimited outgoing connections. Port 80 is not an exception to this, I'm sure. I am running Apache on Windows 2000 Professional, and I frequently get "10061 - Connection refused" errors (I access it from the LAN as well as on the internet).

I am thinking of upgrading to linux to get rid of the concurrent user limit.

Here is a KB article on the connection limit:
I would think that if it was possible to run Apache on a 2K Pro machine, that a lot of people would use 2K Pro/XP Pro to run production webservers as it's cheaper than the 2K Server version.

D

um guys just to let you know I run apache on an xp pro machine with only 256 megs of ram and a xp2000 cpu. I have had a test with a few of my friends at the local college and all 79 were able to connect to the server with no problems. When they all downloaded the same file at the same time via a predetermined time the server did slow down a bit but not enough to affect realtime performance. On a dsl line 1.5 up/down not bad for 59.95 per month. No concurrent connection problems.

So Im not sure where the 10 concurrent limit comes into play.

Semper Fi
My new Baby BOY!!

Look in your httpd.conf for something like the following:
StartServers 5
MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 10
MaxClients 150
MaxRequestsPerChild 0

There will be some explanation about the directives.

"So Im not sure where the 10 concurrent limit comes into play. "

Then they were not all connected at the same time - the requests were all handled quickly. Try getting more than 10 people to download a 10mb+ file at once via dialup, and I bet some will be refused. Wullie is right - Apache has no limit, but Windows XP Home is limited to 5 simultaneous connections, XP Pro, NT and 2000 Pro are all 10. If this were not true, MS wouldn't sell too many copies of Windows Server OS'.

Switch to linux to get more than 10 connections free.

Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Hey... check this out. You aren't the only one. It looks like it is arguably Windows that is doing it.

It would be easier and cheaper to run Linux. If it isn't an emergency, I would spend a couple days getting comfortable with Linux and go that route. Webmin helps with configuring the server nicely.

iSeriesCodePoet
iSeries Programmer/Lawson Software Administrator
[pc2]
See my progress to converting to linux.

flyingwolf23: My test was having about 1400 people connect to Apache at the same time. There was definitely collisions on mine... I was getting connection refused errors while trying to access Apache on the LAN.

However, I have wondered if Apache listened on a different port (a higher one, like maybe 6000?) if the connection limit applies. The limit may only apply to service ports or ports <1024.

I haven't had the time to test that theory, though.

D

Unfortunatly I dont know that many people so getting that type of test done is going to be rather hard. However I'm happy with my current setup and have been getting my hands dirty with linux (Rh9) and am most likely goint to be switching over to a dedicated box in the next few months.

Jim

Semper Fi
My new Baby BOY!!

I'm running two Windows workstations:
1) Windows XP Pro Workstation (Set up with Apache Tomcat server running on port 80.)
2) Windows 2000 Workstation.

I created a simple command file on the W2K workstation that opens 30 sessions to the Apache Tomcat server on the WinXP workstation (by using telnet)

The command line simply contained thirty of the following lines (Ip address obviously the WinXP machine):
start telnet 192.168.2.100 80

All connections were opened, none were refused.

On the WinXP machine, I entered the command netstat -a and I saw that all connections were Established.
TCP ram:http 192.168.2.123:3013 ESTABLISHED

This convinces me that 10 is not the limit for TCP connections in the WinXP Pro OS.

I created a simple command file on the W2K workstation that opens 30 sessions to the Apache Tomcat server on the WinXP workstation (by using telnet)

As this is a single computer, it is 1 connection, not 30. This test would need to be run from multiple machines at the exact same time.

It proves nothing.

Hope this helps

Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

How To Increase Your Connections Up to 40 which normally equates to 20 users . . .
(tested on Windows 2000 and worked fine, did not test on Windows XP but should work fine)

1. Download Microsoft's Metabase Editor (MetaEdit) at
2. In AdminTools, Services, stop IIS then run MetaEdit

3. In W3SVC change the MaxConnection up to 39 max.

4. Close MetaEdit, then restart IIS

I'd have to say, prove it. First of all, limit is 10 connections, not 20. Second, it assumes use of IIS. For anyone running Apache, this is useless for that reason alone.

Newposter
&quot;Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.&quot;

MFPRICE--thanks for the metaedit tip...worked like a charm...I can now simultaneoulsy host 39 connections from different users/machines/ip addresses...without hitting my head on the Win2k Pro 10 user limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back