Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro running Apache.... # of concurrent connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digger69

Technical User
Jan 13, 2003
AU
Does anybody know how many concurrent connections that are allowed on Apache running on XP professional...

btw... I have just installed RHL 9 but are not confident enough with it to use it as my server [ponder]

I have just completed some extensive testing for a server product I am working on that will need to run on windows XP pro and win2k pro. The technet article quoted above is in regard to connections using the windows SMB protocol. I suppose that IIS probably uses the same settings as well, since it is a microsoft product. However, this limit in no way applies to Apache HTTP server, Tomcat, or any other server that simply opens a server socket and listens for tcp/ip connections.

That said, those famous microsofties did cripple XP/2K pro to prevent it from working effectively as server operating systems. They limited the server socket connection backlog to 5 connections. Thus, if more than 5 connections arrive faster than the server can process them, the backlog will fill up and subsequent connections will get "connection refused" socket errors until the server is able to process the connections in the backlog. So, if you have a script that fires off connection requests rapidly, one after the other, you will likely fill the backlog and get connection refused errors. However, if you fire connections off more slowly, say every 100 milliseconds, you can open as many connections as your server can handle.

Please read the msdn article listed below for more details:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back