Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Issue - Acquired a company with UN-COOPERATIVE IT person

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitzysman

MIS
Feb 12, 2002
US
Hi All, We acquired a company that has a 2000 server and 30 Win2000 pcs on the network. They are running native active directory.

I can't get the person to work with me but they are telling me that since we sent them 4 xp machines that all the XP Pro machines are holding files open (Excel and Word) on the server mapped drive. They have to go over to the server and delete the lock.

The issue doesn't happen on 2000 workstations. They are blaming XP and I know that is not the issue. We have around 200 XP machines on our other locations network and have never had this issue.

Here are my questions:

- Since they run active directory does the server require a higher SP than 2000 SP2 to support XP workstations on native active directory ? I was thinking SP3 or 4 was required but wanted someone else thoughts.

- Could this be a problem between Excel/Word 2003 vs Word/Excel 97 - I highly doubt it but am asking anyhow.

- Or do you think this could be a network issue ? Wiring / Hubs or Nic cards ? They have a medley or switches and hubs. The new pcs have 10/100/1000 cards in them.

thanks to all !

I thought locks indicated the file is open somewhere else, so what happens when another user tries to open it? Open with read-only access or does it prevent them all together? This might be the permissions on the folder or file (i.e., maximum # of connections).

It may not solve the issue but they should be at sp4 for win 2000 anyway because of all the security fixes that are included.

Hi Guys, sorry I didn't make myself more clear. The scenario is this. A user on an XP box opens up a shared excel or word file. They make changes and close it. User 2 using Windows 2000 opens it up and can't do it b/c they get a message that the file is in use. This is happening with another program, that uses paradox, as well.

The IT person then has to force the close of the open file on the server even though no one has it open (at least it seems) So they blame the XP machines since it doesn't do the same thing on (2) 2000 machines if they are the first and 2nd person to open and close the file. Just XP then 2000. Not 2000 then 2000.

My question about SP2 vs SP4 is b/c I'm not sure if that is an issue with XP but I haven't been able to verify if the IT person installed it. They are not cooperating.

I'm flying down there next week and am just trying to gather as much advice as I can since my time there is limited.

thank you !!

I hear ya on that !:) That is how I feel. I guess I just wondered if that is just a good thing to do b/c of the patches, etc or a absolutely necessary thing to do b/c of the XP machines in the mix. Regardless, I will go to SP4 when I get there I'm just trying to look for the reasons to my problems before I get there.

I would tell them they can always install SP4, archive it, and if it causes other problems, you can remove it in add/remove programs. No harm, no foul.

From a hardware standpoint you may want to make sure that the nic cards are hard coded to 10 or 100 depending on what they are plugged into, and if they are connected to a managed switch the switch port should be hard wired also. Autodetect tends to cause some communications issues.

Absolutely install SP4 on your W2K server. SP4 resolves a known issue regarding Microsoft Office products leaving locked files on the server from XP computers.

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.
cheers.gif

Hi beerhunter2,

That's good info !! Thank you !

Is there a MS document that supports that that I can show my boss so I can prove the issue to him ?

Hi,

I had the same issue, and resolved it by installing SP4 on my 2000 server and Q329170_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe (From MS site) onto the XP workstations.

I hope this of some help!!!!

Kevin5922

I second the vote for SP4 for W2k Server. We've got 65 XP Pro workstations & had the same issue with a shared Excel spreadsheet. SP4 cured it.

PJA

Just an additional 2 cents worth, while you are there check the servers to see if they have also failed to apply all the other security patches!

Most likely, if they are at SP2, then they are probably also ignoring the other critical updates patches, probably with the excuse that they can not reboot the active servers, etc. Force the issue, as these patches are not called critical for no reason, and they may have to boot the servers several times before all are installed, but it is essential to bring them all up to snuff ASAP. These patches solve many of this type issue also.

HTH,

David

Anyone know an easy way to find out the date a service pack was installed.

Go into C:Windows and check the $NtUninstallKB810217$ modified date. That might be a bit of a dodgy process because you will have to know which Service Pack knowledge base it comes from.

There is probably an easier way, but I don't know of one.

Regards,

Pinhead.

mitsyman,

You can just be sneaky and run internet explorer and have it check the server in question. (on the tool bar, under tools, select Windows update) If it comes back with a bunch of critical updates needing to be installed you have the answer to your question.

Also, right click on my computer, properties, and it will tell you what service pack is installed. :)

HTH,

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back