Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Instability Problems 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssVBAdev

Programmer
May 23, 2003
US
Well, as you may have read in my other thread (thread779-1088651), I've been having troubles with Windows XP restarting and other programs (AutoCAD for example) simpy closing down without notice.

Here are a couple of Event Log Items:
Event ID 1000 said:
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2800.1106, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.1217, fault address 0x0001fca7.
and the correspnding...
Event ID 1001 said:
Fault bucket 49041451.

Event ID 15 said:
Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to contact the active directory (0x8007054b). The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
Enrollment will not be performed.

To clarify here are some of the symptoms:
- Explorer will sometimes restart (without reboot) but will allow the programs to remain open.
- While working normally in a program, the screen will go blank (Black) as the computer restarts automatically. Upon reboot, Windows tells me that it has recovered from a serious error and, following the Info links, tells me that it is a device driver (although it cannot tell me what) is the cause of the problem.

The instance mentioned in the thread above the computer rebooted but would not allow me to go past the "Welcome to Windows" screen (ie. ctrl+alt+delete would not function regardless of rebooting, new keyboard, etc, etc).

So, I formatted the disk and started over. I have not even installed all of the programs and devices and I am still experienceing the reboots.

Argh... Any thoughts??

What's the best way to get the answers you need?? See FAQ222-2244 for details!

Based on your last thread and the errors above I would say that you should test your hardware.

First test the RAM with a utility such as the Microsoft Memory Tester or MemTest86
Also test your Hard Drive just to be sure, The manufacturer of the HD will have a free utility available on their Website.

Also make sure you have the latest drivers for you Graphics card and if you have chance try another Card.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Thanks Greg. Will do. I'll try to post back with results.

If anyone else reads this though and would like to offer their two cents, please don't hesitate.

ssVBAdev, I would encourage you to update all of the drivers you can--chipset, video card, NIC, sound card, etc... That's where I'd start.

FWIW,

Joe Brouillette

Joe:

That's essentially where I am at, I guess. The Memory Tester did not reveal any faults (using the default settings - not the extended tests).

So that's what I'll do. Frustrating!

If you have this much problems I would advice you to run the extended tests to make sure that its not the hard ware. If your hard ware passes extended tests its very likely not a HW problem.

Then I would start with making sure you have the correct drivers etc.

But to me it could be a waste of time downloading drivers and installing them if the underlying HW has faults on it. Yes it might just be the drivers but if its not you will spend even more time trying to find the problem.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

linney,

I have not tried safe mode and Sandra turned up a warning for the Realtec AC'97 audio driver waying that the software was outdated or incompatible with XP. I tried to install the new driver by my HD got corrupted and the install failed. I've since been able to install the driver without problem. Only time will tell if this worked or not I guess.

SANDRA did not show any issues with the hardward itself. I have yet to try the Memory Tester with the extended tests but I guess I will try that tonight (I'll start it before leaving for the night and let it run).

Well, after installing the audio driver without problem a shutdown still occourd and it was the same problem... a driver of some kind.

I've run the Microsoft Memory test a couple more times and apparently one of my memory modules failed the same test on two different occasions.

Anyone know if a faulty memory module could cause HD corruption and for XP to think that a driver is faulty?

I've got two 512 DDR-SDRAMs. I'm thinking I could remove the faulty one and try that for a while. Anyone see any harm in that?

I'll give it a go. The trouble is that this problem is so intermittant. I'll work just fine for a while (perhpas for an entir day) then all of a sudden, I'll be working normally, the computer will jsut shut down. None of the logs have been a help thus far in determining what happened just before or just as the shutdown occured. we'll see how the 'RAM test' goes though.

Sorry to harp on about "Save Dump" as mentioned in your original post, but I feel you might be missing out on the helpful information it may be able to provide.

Just make sure that in Control Panel/ System/ Advanced/ Startup and Recovery/ Settings/ System Failure, that you have ticked "Write an event to the System Log" If you don't have this checked a lot of helpful information will be missing from the Event Viewer.

"Save Dump" is not a red error message it is an "Information" line which you must locate and click on to get to the extra information. See if you can use the Filter option in the Event Viewer under the View menu (while the System folder is highlighted) to search for the "Save Dump" events. All you have to do then is use the down arrow (in the resulting window) to select "Save Dump" in the "Event Source" box. Click Apply and OK, then you will have all the "Save Dump" Information lines in one place in the Event Viewer.

Now you can click on them and get those "Bug Check" details.

I'd be curious to see if you switched the memory sticks and ran the test again if the error followed the memory stick. As opposed to removing the suspect stick altogether. The reason I suggest this is if you MB is bad you may fing that error gets reported on whichever stick is in that slot. Bad memory can do some really wierd stuff so it wouldn't surprise me if you have a bad stick.

Aside from that you can try to isolate the faulty component by removing everything except the HDD and video card if installed, then boot up and see if the shutdown occurs. If not then start adding components back one at a time until failure resumes.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

linney,
Sure there are savedump events in the Event Viewer but (and I'm no hardward expert here) this tells me nothing...
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c5 (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8053a160). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072105-01.dmp.
And the mini dump file is not readable in a text file so I'd need some kind of reader or viewer to see the contents of that file. even then I'm not sure I'd fully understand what it tells me.
If you could provide some insight into how the save dump info will help me I'd be glad to hear it.

BadFrog,
Very interesting idea. I've already taken the one module out for now but I should try to switch then and run the diagnostics. I may have to leave that for next week as I'm falling behind in my regular duties dealing with this issue. Besides, it'll give me a day to see how things go anyway.

Error Message: STOP 0x000000C5 DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

314084 - How to gather information after a memory dump in Windows XP

315271 - How to Use Dumpchk.exe to Check a Memory Dump File

254649 - Overview of memory dump file options for Windows 2000, for Windows XP, and for Windows Server 2003

315263 - How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging

Other sources of information.

Location of Dr Watson dump files

X:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\user.dmp

X:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson

Help and Support titles to read.

Using the Dr. Watson log file
Using Dr. Watson

Log file to search for.

drwtsn32.log

ssVBAdev,

The following hardware situation may not be your problem but it certainly deserves to be checked. Borderline overheating of a CPU will create all sort of havoc and apparent "software/memory" errors.

I have been having day's when crashes and reboots were the norm, then at times the system seemed to operate OK. Last nite I decided to check the temperature in the BIOS and found I was running at 64-65 deg C, way to hot for an Athlon XP2000.

I pulled the heat sink and found the sink full of dust bunnies, essentially blocking the fan cooling. Also the thermal grease had migrated away from between the chip and sink. I cleaned the sink, removed the old grease and aplied Artic Siver thermal grease.

I fired back up and now the CPU is running at 42-43 deg C and the case ambient temp is running around 48 deg C!

I would guess if you checked just about any machine that has been in service for awhile, you would probably find a similar situation. We just don't give a thought about what is going on with the mechanics inside the case.

Just my experience...

John

Thnkas for the info John. You're right though, we don't generaly think about those kinds of things but I guess, just like cars, we need to care of what's under the hood. But, the computer is still less than 1 year old. Many parts are still under warrenty. I'm going through the process of determining what is under warrenty and what can be replaced. So far, the memory module 'seems' to be my problem. I had no issues on Friday and things just 'felt' better. Programs seemed to work better and smoother (like AutoCAD 2006 which requires 512K). But, time will tell.

Linney, thanks for all the links!!!!! I'll look through them and let you know what has helped.

Well, as I said I had no issues on Friday and the computer ran all day fine. Today, I put the memory module back in but switched the two. Tests showed that the module in slot 1 was again failing. As BadFrog pointed out, it seems that the slot is problem and not the memory module. I'll check the warrenty at this point and go from there but again, only time will tell I think. There have been times in this whole ordeal where I thought I was out of the woods before. So, We'll see.

Thanks everyone for all your time. Espceially you linney for sticking through

Well, as I said I had no issues on Friday and the computer ran all day fine. Today, I put the memory module back in but switched the two. Tests showed that the module in slot 1 was again failing. As BadFrog pointed out, it seems that the slot is problem and not the memory module. I'll check the warrenty at this point and go from there but again, only time will tell I think. There have been times in this whole ordeal where I thought I was out of the woods before. So, We'll see.

Thanks everyone for all your time!

Especially you linney for sticking through all of this and for all your input. A star for you.

A star for Greg for his initial suggestion of the Microsoft Memory Tester as well.

And, while I'm dishing out stars, one for BadFrog for his "switch memory slots" idea.

Hi,

I had the same error with a VB app I wrote.

This is an example of the error I had:

Faulting application MyApp.exe, version xx.xx.xx, faulting module ntdll.dll, version xx.xx.xx, fault address 0x0001fca7

I tryed running: sfc /scannow in command prompt , Linney wrote about it in other thread, and the app worked fine after this.

You need the WXP disk for complete the file system check

Hope it works for you.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back