Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Instability Problems 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssVBAdev

Programmer
May 23, 2003
US
Well, as you may have read in my other thread (thread779-1088651), I've been having troubles with Windows XP restarting and other programs (AutoCAD for example) simpy closing down without notice.

Here are a couple of Event Log Items:
Event ID 1000 said:
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2800.1106, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.1217, fault address 0x0001fca7.
and the correspnding...
Event ID 1001 said:
Fault bucket 49041451.

Event ID 15 said:
Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to contact the active directory (0x8007054b). The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
Enrollment will not be performed.

To clarify here are some of the symptoms:
- Explorer will sometimes restart (without reboot) but will allow the programs to remain open.
- While working normally in a program, the screen will go blank (Black) as the computer restarts automatically. Upon reboot, Windows tells me that it has recovered from a serious error and, following the Info links, tells me that it is a device driver (although it cannot tell me what) is the cause of the problem.

The instance mentioned in the thread above the computer rebooted but would not allow me to go past the "Welcome to Windows" screen (ie. ctrl+alt+delete would not function regardless of rebooting, new keyboard, etc, etc).

So, I formatted the disk and started over. I have not even installed all of the programs and devices and I am still experienceing the reboots.

Argh... Any thoughts??

What's the best way to get the answers you need?? See FAQ222-2244 for details!

AurtherKnight:
Thanks for input but as I mentioned it turned out to be a motherboard problem. So scanning the file system at this point would be irrelevant and not a help. The computer hardware itself could not write to the RAM and then read it back properly.

Just one of those quirky things that can happen I guess.

What's the best way to get the answers you need?? See FAQ222-2244 for details!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back