Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP hangs at logo

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwarner

Technical User
Feb 27, 2002
My XP Pro PC will not load. It appears to start normally, but it never gets to the Welcome screen. It hangs at the screen that has Windows XP (and logo) with the blue background. Even though the mouse is not frozen at this point, there is nothing I can do but reboot, but it does the same thing each time and even in safe mode. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Barry

Has anything been installed recently (eg. drivers, programs, games, etc, etc)

No, all I use this PC for is internet access - there are very few programs on it.

When you push F8 and get the Menu Items select Boot from Lask Known Good Configuration

if that doesn't work run a windows repair on it or re-install the OS without formatting so you can keep your data.

If you have no luck with the "Last Known Good Configuration" option, try these.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

Try running ChkDsk from the Recovery Console.

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back