Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hang at shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
My personal computer has decided to start acting weird. It's an ASUS P8H77-V board with 16GB RAM, Win7 64-bit. It just started to intermittently NOT shut down when I tell it to shut down.

Sometimes you can barely see (very dim on the display) the words LOGGING OFF and it hangs for a few minutes before shutting down. Sometimes the screen is totally black but the monitor doesn't go to sleep. Either way, if you power the machine down by holding the power button, you get a "Windows did not shut down successfully" on next startup so I know Windows 7 didn't shut down fully.

Not really sure what to test for hardware or how to approach if software. There is a BIOS update one newer than mine, but I hate to do that.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

This problem appears to have magically disappeared from both my laptop and desktop. Microsoft magic?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Don't you love to have that happen? Now you can lose sleep worrying about when it is going to come back.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back