Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP goes into hibernation on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

PamSt

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
Hello! I hope someone can help; I have a HP Pavilion 310n that seems to be going into hibernation on startup. When I startup the HP splash screen comes up then windows starts to load I get the windows splash screen then I can hear the hard drive spin down, I loose video signal but the LED on the front stays lit. If I press the power button the computer shuts down. This only happens in regular mode, it starts and runs fine in safe mode, I have run virus and spy ware scans and the system appears to be clean. Thanks for any help you can give

Sounds like an incorrectly installed chipset driver or video card driver. My advice find the newest drivers for both and install them.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

You might also try rebooting in Diagnostic Setup to see if there's anything strange there.

If not, check out this site to see if it's a help understanding start-up & boot process.

Bob

Remember, if you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them. [medal]

Make sure your Power settings are correct in Control Panel/ Power Options, you may have to go in via Safe Mode.

You could try this command from a Command Prompt - powercfg /h off - that should turn off Hibernation.

XP Pro asleep???
thread779-878041

Bizarre problem waking from sleep mode
thread779-945634

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back