Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ximasoft Chronicall is available for Linux (reports 2.0) and also Browserless Wallboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairlessupportmonkey

IS-IT--Management
Aug 26, 2009
NZ
In two flavours / packages:
RPM both 32 and 64bit
Deb both 32 and 64bit

I currently have it running on Fedora 18 (KDE) and its working sweet.

It should work in your Apps server under Centos.

The nice thing is running this in Linux is a cost saving and it works well as the overheads to run it are less.

You can now also run the wallboard outside the browser in both Windoze and Linux versions, and have it startup when your machine boots should you desire.

We added in a new feature that will be deployed with the next maintenance release (early next week). It is the ability to run the Chronicall user interface outside of the browser. This may come in handy for any of the following reasons:
• You need the Realtime Stats (canvas) to open up automatically and go full screen when your computer starts up
• The browser Java plugin is misbehaving
• The browser Java plugin for Linux is really crappy and hard to install
So here is how it works...

On the server you can just double click the chronicallApplet.jar file in Windows and it will launch the Chronicall user interface. By the same token you can launch the Chronicall user interface from the command line or from a short cut using the Java executable like this:

Windows:

java.exe -jar "C:\Program Files (x86)\Xima Software\Chronicall\tomcat\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\lib\chronicallApplet.jar"

You can also add a few parameters when you launch it:
• useAdminLogin=true
o This will attempt to log in automatically using the default username and password
• username=nate password=secret
o These two parameters will attempt to log you in automatically using the indicated credentials
• fullScreenCanvas=true
o This will launch the canvas and automatically make it full screen (if you have appropriate log in credentials)
Here is an example of using these parameters together.

Linux:
Make a new Launcher on your desktop and add

java -jar /var/lib/Xima\ Software/Chronicall/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib/chronicallApplet.jar useAdminLogin=true fullScreenCanvas=true

On a network computer you have to have all of the client side jar files in the same directory as chronicallApplet.jar. This is no problem if you are running this on the Chronicall server because they are already there in the lib directory. If you need to do this on a remote work station then you will need to copy the following jars into a directory on the PC:
• chronicallApplet.jar
• xima1.jar (only if you have legacy reports)
• r2xima1.jar
• r2xima2.jar (only if you have custom reports)
• xima4.jar (only if you have recording library)
• xima8.jar (only if you have realtime)
Making this work on a PC other than the Chronicall Server is not super hard but it can be problematic because they will need to manually recopy these jar files if they update Chronicall. Once the new Dashboard module is deployed we will tap into its boot loader system which will take care of pulling down the updated jars automatically. Until then you will probably want Mark's help if you need to set this up for someone.

Last point, if you want the canvas to open up automatically when the computer starts then you will want to create an appropriate shortcut and put it in the Start Up folder.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

The Linux shortcut works but for Windows it is unable to open it.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

peter, make a .txt file, add the command, then rename the .txt to .cmd - job done.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

I did but it fails running the java stuff.
I will try it with some more attention and a valid license :)

BAZINGA!

Hi Sean,

I get an error when i use useAdminLogin=true
It fails when i add "Login" and when i remove it then it opens the page but i am unable to use user credentials
Is there perhaps a typo in the software or in useAdminLogin=true?

BAZINGA!

OK, when i change useAdminLogin=true to useAdminlogin=true then i logs in but still no fullscreen wallboard.
The wallboard part works on a Linux server and i am trying it on a Windows machine now.

BAZINGA!

Complete instructions for fullscreen canvas on remote computer:

example Chronicall url:
Download the following files:

Make sure the filenames are chronicallApplet.jar and xima8.jar, not _chronicallApplet.jar and _xima8.jar

Create a folder called "ChronicallClient" or similar.
Move the downloads to the the new folder.
Assuming ChronicallClient is in Downloads.
Java path:
C:\program files (x86)\java\jre7\bin
Chronicall client path:
C:\Users\Filip\Downloads\ChronicallClient
Full command:

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -jar "C:\Users\Filip\Downloads\ChronicallClient\chronicallApplet.jar"  documentBase=[URL unfurl="true"]http://10.1.2.3:9080/[/URL] username=filip password=superpassword fullScreenCanvas=true

3_4_4 has been released by the way!

BAZINGA!

Thanks for filling in the blanks Mark! :)

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

Hi,

On the server this method works great! But on a client pc, the login screen appears but I can't login. How can I tell the applet where to find the server?

Richard

It works on my Laptop as a client, win8ent 64bit mozilla firefox 18.0.2 & java 1.7.0_17

A simple mind delivers great solutions

See Marks post. Works fine.

however, the latest build of Chronicall they have broken the wall board opening full screen. that white splash screen breaks it at the moment.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

3.4(14) released last night. Please test fullscreen canvases again.

I just saw and downloaded it :)
I did not test it yet.
I will do it when I have some time.
I will power up my C110 and see if I still know how that works.

BAZINGA!

Hi Markus,

I just tested it with the Linux rpm_32 version and it works fine for that release.
It opens the wallboard in fullscreen mode.

BAZINGA!

I did notice that when i use the administrator account it works fine but if i create a special user for the wallboard only then if fails.
This is both on Windows and Linux.

BAZINGA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back