Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XFRX error 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimstarr

Programmer
Feb 6, 2001
US
With no changes to the app the user is getting error code -6 when trying to create a PDF. This error is described in the xfrx user's guide as "xfrxlib.fll cannot be loaded (it is missing or invalid)".

In fact the .fll is neither missing nor invalid (it works fine on my computer). We're thinking it might be a permissions problem but can't find any evidence for that.

Any ideas? Thanks!!!

Jim

Just to eliminate one possibility:

Did you remember to exlude XFRX.FLL from your build? The file needs to be distributed to the target system, not bound into the executable?

Also, can we assume the file is in the search path? (In my applications, I place it in the same directory as the executable.)

Sorry if I am stating the obvious.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips, training, consultancy

Thanks, Mike.

The answers to your questions are: yes and yes.

Jim

Jim,

Just another thought:

Could it be a version mismatch issue? That is, you have the VFP 9.0 version of XFRX, but the user has VFP.80 or earlier runtimes on their system? Or the other way round?

It's a long shot, but it's the only other thing I can think of.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips, training, consultancy

You may need a differnt C++ runtime version for the fll than for vfp, if the C versions differ. Eg vfp9 need mscvr71.dll, xfrx.fll may need msvcr80.dll or even an older version.

Bye, Olaf.

This app has been running reliably for years. The user says that nothing in the environment has changed except for (rather frequent) Windows updates.

Jim

Well, you're confronted with the error "xfrxlib.fll cannot be loaded (it is missing or invalid)". It doesn't come frmo thin air. Either the FLL file isn't there, is broke or it's runtime is missing or broken. Best thing you can do is to reinstall the fll and the c runtime it needs to run.

Windows updates could for example update c runtimes in system32 or Syswow64, which could also be the reason the installation breaks.

Some user has done something, ashamed to report, and the other person you talk to doesn't even know. Who knows what's really going on. Errors can also be misleading, but in the first shot you must take them serious.

"My car worked fro years, and now it doesn't start." See the analogon? Why do you think just because software is soft, it can't brake?

Bye, Olaf.

Problem solved.

Somewhere on the web I found this:

"The xfrxlib.fll library requires three DLLs from Microsoft to be installed: gdiplus.dll, msvcr71.dll and msvcp71.dll."

Our installation routine was omitting msvcp71.dll and so I guess it was a hit or miss thing that the dll happened to be present and available on the machine in question when the app was launched.

Thanks Mike and Olaf!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back