Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WP SP1 vs SP2 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kam31uf

Technical User
Jan 1, 2005
US
Do I really need to install SP2 for my Win XP? I have heard of it causing problems with applications, etc.

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC

before i do that i want to figure out why I cant shut the cpu down. I have to try 4-5 times before it will quit or I makeit quit. It just keeps rebooting itself. Funny...its the opposite of before.

right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, and uncehck to automaticly restart on errors.

Now when you try to shutdown does it show an error message?

It showed an error message 1 out of 4 times shuting down. The message wasnt all that clear either. Shoukd i go ahead and update?

Have you ran any basic adware and spyware removal tools yet? At the very least run Ad-Aware and Spybots...

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

what card's you have in your system? without sp2 do you ever have problem?

Cards...not sure what you mean. I will run the spyware tonight. I will also get the error msg tongiht as I am at work.

Cards?...not sure what you mean. I'll check the rest tonihgt at home.

Nothing in the spyware. The event log was checked and I think I eliminated the program that was causing some trouble. I havent had any problems tonight and I have shutdown w/o probs many times.

Yeah that didnt go so well. I went back to the event viewer after the install and all the error messages and recorded all of them. Then I uninstalled SP2. Here are the errors:

The blue screens all said Bad Pooler Header at the top.

1. DCOM got error " This service cannot be started in Safe mode" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments in order to run the server. Event ID 10005

2. The following boot start or system start drivers failed to load:AFD, BANTExt, Fips, IPSec, MRxSmb, NetBIos, NetBT, Processor, RasAcd, Rdbss, Tcpip, Ws2IFSL. Event ID 7026

3. The IPSEC Services service depends on the IPSEC drive service which failed to starrt becasue of the following error: A device attached tothe system is not functioning. Event ID 7001

4. The TCP/IP NetBios helper service depends on the AFD networking Support Environment service which failed to start becasue of the fpollowig error: A device attached tothe system is not functioning. Event ID 7001

5. The DNS client service depends on the TCP/IP Protocal driver service which failed to start becasue of the fpollowig error: A device attached tothe system is not functioning. Event ID 7001

6. The DHCP client service depends on the NetBios over TCP/IP service which failed to start becasue of the fpollowig error: A device attached tothe system is not functioning. Event ID 7001

7. - This one came up after I got it to restart after uninstalling SP2.

Ok so I get it something isnt compatible withthe upgrade. How do I know what it it?

I've installed SP2 on just about every PC I've come along. It's a great way to keep a PC protected for your average "rookie". No, it's not the best protection, but for sure better than nothing.

I've been running SP2 on my system for awhile now, with no problems whatsoever. I've actually integrated SP2 into my Windows XP Pro disc.

Personally, I would recommend installing SP2. I have yet to have any personal problems.

All of those service errors are typical if you start in Safe Mode (without networking).

They do not, on their face, present a problem.

It wouldnt let me strt in regular mode. The instructions o the blue screen said to start in safe mode to find the error. I couldnt get it to ever get to the sign in screen. Thos ewere the erros I got from trying to start in reg mode. I was viewing them inthe event viewer while in safe mode.

the blue screen what say?

went you show blue screen?

in loading bar? or went the windows starts?

The blue screens all said Bad Pooler Header at the top.
Stop msg something about device not working correctly.

It was when I was shutting down for teh restart after installing SP2. I have since uninstalled it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back