Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WP SP1 vs SP2 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kam31uf

Technical User
Jan 1, 2005
US
Do I really need to install SP2 for my Win XP? I have heard of it causing problems with applications, etc.

I did the sigverif thing and I have 3 unsigned drivers. They are bantext.sys, mal111nd5.sys and netfltconfig.dat. I can follwo the instructions to diable them but how do i know I dont need them?

The MAI111.sys file is for my wireless internet setup. I would thinK I need to keep this. Do I need to update it?

Not sure what this one is:
netfltconfig.dat

bantext.sys - from the Belarc Advisor

If you can find newer drivers for your wireless connection you should apply them.

I removed the Belarc and tried to update the MAI driver with the install cd and that produced a bad device driver blue screen. So I rolled it back and have contactd Netgear about how to fix this. I am assuming the net...dat file is related as well but Im not sure.

uninstall the drivers for wireless card and install sp2

Update: Thanks to everyone that helped me sort this gigantic mess out.

I am happy to announce that after finally getting ahold of someone at NEtgear, I was able to install the correct drivers. After that and spendig 80 min onthe phone with tech support with my internet provider, seems SP2 reset my wireless connection as unsecure, all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back