Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wordplay from AWAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thadeus

Technical User
Jan 16, 2002
US
Did someone say WordPlay?

What do you expect when you mess around with a wordy pal? Wordplay, of course! And that's what you are going to get for the next five days. In this week's AWAD, we feature words about words, words that describe play with words.
emphasis mine.

~Thadeus

What's an AWAD?

Comma sutra, the most fun you can have with punctuation.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

AWAD stands for A Word A Day and if you follow the link I provided above you can see an example of what is sent out daily.
Anu Garg provides this wonderful free service and does an outstanding job of it.

Additionally, I have never been contacted or troubled because I signed up.... I've been a subscriber for years.

~Thadeus

My current favorite example of antanaklasis (particularly in these post 911 days of "Homeland Security") is: "Those who would give up a little liberty for security deserve neither." (Ben Franklin, I think)

It's not a perfect example, in that the repetition of the words are implied rather than being specifically stated, but I like it the better for that.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back